Lupo 1.8T Advice Needed...

englebert

Hi Guys,

I have tried doing a search so i don't bombard you with too many questions but due to my ineptness i couldn't find much, so here goes...!

My first big question is if there is any benefit of getting any particular Lupo? I'd like to get a GTI for the added engineering gone into it (and better) looks but personally i find them expensive for what they are. Having said that, i wouldn't rule out upgrading bits on a normal Lupo down the line...

My second question is who are the trusted fitters for the engine (Dubsport, Jabbasport etc.)? I can barely change a wheel let alone do an engine conversion so i would have to let them do everything! Should i let them source the engine or track down one myself...the theory being i will save a bit of money there?

Finally, i guess the 1.8t will prove too much for the standard chassis so are there already suspension kits in existance to handle the extra weight/power and can i upgrade the brakes with something without going above a 14"/15" wheel.

Sorry to be a pain with that, i will make every effort to contribute to the forum so i'm not just a pain in the ass biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Cheers,

-Rob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of options both with good and bad points.

A GTI would be Ideal and possibly the best option i think.

battery in the boot and lightweight front pannels because of the heavy engine. But they are not cheap. Also have decent brakes to start with and electric windows/central locking.

A 3L or FSI would be great as they are the lightest but only being available in europe you're not going to find one in a hurry.

A sport would be good as they already have disc brakes on the back and the central exhaust looks pretty cool. also come with a lot of features.

A 1.0 litre will have the least features, but the lightest shell (other than 3L, FSI) I've found that most 1.0's usually go for more than the 1.4 (75bhp) as a lot of people see lupos as first time cars and snap them up pretty quickly.

Just stay away from deisels and automatics, should make things easier.

JBS did a fantastic conversion on a 1 litre and I think storm developmnts do pretty cheap conversions.

lupo gti are overpriced for what they are and they all seem to be a few thousand above guide book price. the reason is they are rare, are a fantastic car and very much in demand. there just isnt enough to go around. so you pay more to buy one, but if you ever wanted to sell then you will be getting more money for it than other hot hatches in a similar class. i wanted to buy one before they got collectible and high priced, but i was too late. but i'm still happy with the gti. and i know they will just get rarer and rarer.

As you say, i think there are under 1000 GTIs are in the UK so prices will probably remain high for that reason alone...

Thanks for the advice then...1.0l shell, lightest, but would you say it makes it the weakest too?! I don't want a rollcage so elimating as much flex as possible will be quite important for me...

The Sport sounds like a good tip then, gotta love those little exhausts!

Any contact links for those suppliers mentioned?

Edited by englebert

if you get one without a sunroof that will save a lot of weight and keep rigidty up.

i would advise a rear disc'd axle. drum brakes are so poor in my opinion.

Edited by beach

Its easier fitting a VAG 1.8T to a clio than a Lupo smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Welcome.

Really? There is a guy on Cliosport.net with one but he is a mechanic...

As much as like the Clio i've had two now and they are under engineered, whereas we have had many VWs in the family (my sister has a red 1.4 Lupo) and by and large they have been very good. Also, the Lupo is a easy 100kg lighter and i think a converted one will be cheaper to insure! (fingers crossed).

Sunroof, yes! I'll note that.

Thanks for the advice then...1.0l shell, lightest, but would you say it makes it the weakest too?! I don't want a rollcage so elimating as much flex as possible will be quite important for me...

A 1.0e shell as far as I know is the same as a 1.4 not any weaker. just made lighter by the fact they have no electric windows. no central locking or other extras. there are some variations in how much sound deadening is used in older-newer models but I think thats about it.

as for a roll cage, I doubt you would need one if your keeping the interior (rear seats) but if you're stripping it out and planing to race it you should think about one.

if you are planning to strip it out a 1.0e may be your best option if a GTI is out of the price range.

you could easily add the gti aluminium doors and bonnet without any major work.

My lupo is a 1.4 16v sport totally stripped out and I have replaced the drivers door with a gti aluminium one, just on the look out for a passenger one and bonnet now to help making it lighter. the reson I went for a sport was that the engine is adequate for what I want to do (no engine swap) and I'm planning to leave the brakes as they are. plenty of stopping power for the weight of the car. The only thing is because the sport was quite high spec I'm having to remove a lot of wiring, central locking, e/windows.. to optimise the weight.

Edited by Petrified

I dont know really though, all I kow is that most of the places that have done this conversion before has said either they are not doing one again, or Thank you very much, I'll take £10k please.

I dont know really though, all I kow is that most of the places that have done this conversion before has said either they are not doing one again, or Thank you very much, I'll take £10k please.

Yep, i'm starting to get worried now...i looked at one site (Storm Developments i think) and they had a little bar graph showing estimated costs and it looked like £6k for a conversion all in. A bit expensive...what are the big hurdles then, space? I was hoping it would be quite an easy project but perhaps i walked into this rather naiively rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Thanks Petrified, cool car btw.

Why not buy a Gti and not change the engine? They are not cheap to buy, but they are much cheaper than buying any other model Lupo and then fitting at 20VT.

170bhp in a Lupo (a tuned Gti) is plenty to get on with and the car handles it fine in terms of traction, minimal torque steer and chassis movement type things (well much better than a Nova or Corsa handles the 156bhp of the popular 2.0 16v conversion).

Venom motorsport did that kick-ass bright green 1.8T Lupo. Eventually, it is what I'd like to do to my Lupo, but we're talking like 5 years down the line!! Bet they'll be a better option than the 1.8T by then, probably the 1.4 superturbo as already suggested. In fact, I wouldn't mind putting a turbo on my 1.4... Anyway, I can send you some pics of the Venom 1.8T Lupo if you PM me. As for chassis rigidity, get a 1.0 or a 1.4 shell, put on the GTI doors and bonnet then use strut braces and anti-roll bar kits?

Dave.

I like the Lupo GTI but i don't want to sell my Clio and then pay more for a slower car to be honest...

I've always been into dubs, and having seen these VR6 Lupos knocking around i thought you could lob anything if you like, and i have been keen to get a turbo'd car for a while because of the VFM factor when it comes to tuning!

From the limited knowledge i have, the 1.8t is very well made, and can take a reasonable amount of power before needing major re-work, whereas i would imagine the 1.4 needs all that, and won't be as reliable for my dreams of 300bhp+.

So, how many people have actually had the conversion? I was expecting it to be really popular! Can i ask how much it cost all in?

Thanks for everyones help so far biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Venom motorsport did that kick-ass bright green 1.8T Lupo.

I wish people would stop saying that!

They handed a cheque to a company to fit the engine (which is one of which who has said he wont do another!) then another cheque to have it tuned.

Venom Motorshop didn't lift a finger.

Bert, theres only one VR6 Lupo running around.

no, but i know i wouldnt need one. in my opinion.

200bhp is plenty enough to try and lay down on the tarmac.

i suppose those into 1/4 miles and things could get more interested in pushing beyond that. for drivng on uk roads or a track day with corners in it i dont see the benefit.

when the time comes i'm pretty interested in taking my gti to NA 160bhp. that would do me really.

Edited by beach

They handed a cheque to a company to fit the engine (which is one of which who has said he wont do another!) then another cheque to have it tuned.

Venom Motorshop didn't lift a finger.

Whatever they did, its a bloody nice car in my opinion! Look what I found.

Edited by lupodave

Nice!

Hmm..just got a quote for £7500+VAT, that is for an S3 engine with front mount intercooler, exhaust and neccessary brake and suspension upgrades. I guess i can get that down a litle by doing without brake/suspensions parts till i can afford them but that is still pretty steep!

If i got a 150bhp Golf engine would that be a false economy or does it simply have a different turbo to get 225bhp?

Nice!

Hmm..just got a quote for £7500+VAT, that is for an S3 engine with front mount intercooler, exhaust and neccessary brake and suspension upgrades. I guess i can get that down a litle by doing without brake/suspensions parts till i can afford them but that is still pretty steep!

If i got a 150bhp Golf engine would that be a false economy or does it simply have a different turbo to get 225bhp?

where was that from?

do they provide the engine? and assuming it's the 225bhp?

I'd be carefull about which engine you use as I believe some engine codes are prone to more problems than others.

I suppose it's not a bad price if everything is included... but if you're spending that much you probably want a decent lupo to start with. which will again put the price up.

sounds like the sort of car you would still be paying for years after selling it sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

You're not wrong! This is from JBS and yep, 225bhp...

We source late low mileage engines with VVT and DBW.

The ECU from the donor vehicle is also used as we do not use after market management systems so that all the switches and sensors on the engine are used as from factory.

I did read that the early ones are the best, head gasket is better or something...

I guess i can get that down a litle by doing without brake/suspensions parts till i can afford them but that is still pretty steep!

My advice would be to surely get the brakes/suspension/strut braces/etc. done first. If you do the engine first, you're more likely to break some of the standard parts on the car that can't cope with the power. Brakes I'd say are paramount to any large hike in power. You gotta be able to stop the thing safely. Get the chassis sorted, and just enjoy the power of what ever engine you get. You'll appreciate the power more after the conversion then and won't end up the wrong side of any crash barriers because you couldn't stop the thing. Just my opinion though!?

well i have spoke with a 4low who had a lupo with 371bhp and he says it was ok just didnt like bumpy roads cos of the diff moving the power about

bill ran his with soft springs and has just thought bout getting collis so the lupo can take more power than we really need