Perishing cam belt??

Right my cambelt according to Seat doesn't need doing till 60K, but after my mechanics did a 4 year major service which includes checks, my cambelt is perished.

Should I be able to get this replaced under warrenty despite my engine mods? The mechanic said the engine mods place no bearing of stress under the cam belt, but how will Seat see that?

Anyone else had this problem? blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Ignore the 60k figure - change it every 4 years or 40k (whichever comes soonest) - the belts / tensioner / rollers are known to fail early.

If the car had been in warranty you may well have been able to get it changed for free - then again they may have just given you a free belt and said you need to pay for the labour to fit it LoL.

Be thankfull that it has been spotted - get it changed asap as if it breaks your looking at expensive engine damage. Might also want to consider having the water pump replaced at the same time - will only add £30 or so to the bill but again if that were to stop working it could ruin your engine (it's cheaper to replace it at the same time as the timing belt than it is on it's own at a later stage).

vw say cambelt should be done at 4 years REGARDLESS of mileage. i would always recommend changing a cambelt long before its due, as an initial £200-£300 outlay is better and a lot cheaper than a £2000+ one for a cylinder head/engine rebuild

Edited by lupogtiboy

If the car had been in warranty you may well have been able to get it changed for free - then again they may have just given you a free belt and said you need to pay for the labour to fit it LoL.

Ooooo the cost of labour