Calling all chipped TDI owners!

g-man85

I'm trying to figure out how badly my car is performing or if the hot weather is really affecting it that badly. Its got a remap and other mods but its going in for a service and new MAF but am wondering will that really make things better by a significant amount

Using a crude stopwatch, i'm only getting 0-60mph in 11secs confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

What can people get normally and currently now in this hot weather?

Edited by g-man85

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hot weather is effecting it really badly mate...

When it rained the other day - I was amazed by the difference in peformance, and the fact i could boot it without leaving a trail !

If your maff was faulty, it'd hardly run at all, and if it was in limp mode, then it wudnt pass 60mph in fifth

The hot weather is effecting it really badly mate...

When it rained the other day - I was amazed by the difference in peformance, and the fact i could boot it without leaving a trail !

If your maff was faulty, it'd hardly run at all, and if it was in limp mode, then it wudnt pass 60mph in fifth

Its going in to get a new MAF, but it still runs okish but no way that great. Run's better this evening, even when its far cooler. But my car doesn't seem to run that well. Don't want to replace the MAF either straight away due to costs.

But i'm really stumped why my car is disappointing at the moment. No fault codes, and can't think of anything else. Anyone got any ideas? I'm not sure whether to get advice from JBS before or after a rolling road. Just interesting to see how other peoples TDI's perform 0-60mph and also in this heat rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

i think that book stock speed is around 11.5 secs 0-60,

but yours is remapped so i would say it should be between 8-8.5 secs

Thats what I thought. But during day time the best I've got via crude timing is 11.3secs and in nightime when much cooler around 12am is 10.5secs.

That to me is not right for a car with a remap, decat, stainless exhaust and panel filter. But MAF seems to work too but I've been told to start from there if there's any doubt. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> I can drive the car fine to all speeds, but its not great. I mean getting beat by a Pug 406 diesel estate full loaded, that was embarrasing!

Anyone got any suggestions apart from leaking boost pipes that won't come under VAG COM as I'm really desparate to get my 0-60mph time around 8secs as per Remaped TDI's wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I'm not wanting to spend £300 on service and checks to find the car the same running form.

Edited by g-man85

Take the drivers side wheel off today, and remove the undertray

Have a look up at the turbo, and give the "S-bend" pipe a good feel to make sure its not leaking any air, a dead give away for a boost leak is being able to hear the boost much more prominently, like a hissing sound. I apear to have a small boost leak at the moment as a result of re-fitting my "S-bend" pipe with jubilee clips that were too big, causing them to mis-shape when closed up too small.the original constant tension clamps will be re-fitted this sunday, as its about time i gave the newly replaced "S-bend" a checkup to make sure its not fouling again.

Might sound silly, but would the hissing noise appear when the engine is only running at idle? As I keep thinking I hear a hiss but its actually the noise of the fan belt.

Will get the car up to have a look as all other pipes seem fine, so S-pipe it is to check.

Right guys, I would really value peoples input in describing how your tuned TDI's perform and drive.

The things if you could describe would be helpful. coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

1) Does your engine pull consistantly all the way to the redline?

2) At what revs does the engine feel to run out of steam (if it does)?

3) What is the highest mph you've achieved (on a private road)?

4) How hard does your boost come on-ie does the power delivery spike harshly?

5) Who carried out the remap work for you?

Cheers guys. I'm just trying to work out if my map needs re-doing as I'm not 100% happy with the way the engine drives, but need to rule out first that its not a common characteristic what I'm experiencing.

Any information would help me try and get my TDI back in the swing of things biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> as I originally purchased one from all you TDI owners praising the chipped performance!

Im confused.

The TDI should be 12 seconds 0-60

Whats wrong with 11 seconds?

Mine's running a custom remap, decat, full exhaust system and panel filter.......and should be running around 115hp

But MAF was gone when i originally posted, so should be fixed up when i get her back on the road tomorrow. But when she was running in full flow, there was something about the way the engine acts that didn't seem right. My engine would run out of steam at 3.5k rpm and it felt almost like the turbo stopped boosting and I hit a brick wall if i didn't shift.

Also when on a private road doing a top speed run, the car would accelerate to a certain speed then stop, as if someone applied the brakes and yet there was still revs to go. Just really weird, never seen, driven or been in car with an engine that reacts like that.

Edited by g-man85

Here we go....

1) Yes (ish).

2) Pulls hard up till about 4250rpm.

3) 118mph (indicated).

4) Smooth controlled boost from 2500-3000 rpm, 3000+ pulls like a train!

5) Superchips.

As mentioned before, the hot weather has really affected the performance so if you can get a decent cold air feed going do it. As well as that, try using some BP Diesel Ultimate rather than the regular it will make a massive difference shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Here we go....

1) Yes (ish).

2) Pulls hard up till about 4250rpm.

3) 118mph (indicated).

4) Smooth controlled boost from 2500-3000 rpm, 3000+ pulls like a train!

5) Superchips.

As mentioned before, the hot weather has really affected the performance so if you can get a decent cold air feed going do it. As well as that, try using some BP Diesel Ultimate rather than the regular it will make a massive difference shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Thats brilliant! As for the cold air feed, already done that! What you have described is what i expected, but i don't get that! Ta!

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by g-man85

1) Prett much

2) Mine seems to tail off around 4000rpm

3) 115 GPS Speed on the carpark at GTI inters since i'd got their mega early smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

4) My boost is quite agressive and gives a nice little kick, but since disabling EGR valve, Has become a lot more smooth and controlled. Still has a nice kick to it though

5) Jabbasport

Right to describe mine:

1) Pulls really hard to 3.5k, then feels like the boost stops till it reaches the redline

2) As above, tails of badly at 3.5k

3) On a private road run, i got an indicated 115mph (more realistically 105-110mph), which the car pulled consistently to, but just stopped going faster at a split second, with no feeling of it running out of steam.

4) Boost kicks in really hard at 2k to around 3k with the sense of the car running out of go go!

5) Custom Code Phase 2

I've contacted JBS, hopefully after a full mechanical low down on my car later today from my service I can take my car to get it re-mapped to my liking.

Thanks for your input guys, at least it gives me a benchmark to consider!

Edited by g-man85

So wheres the proof of these diesels running 8-8.5secs to 60?!

Someone called Sheepy on Seatenthusiasts.com used to have 119hp from his TDI Arosa and accurately timed at 7.9secs and does a 16.4 1/4 mile. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I a word:

HEATSOAK

Have you seen the tiny little intercooler behind the dirvers side front wheel.

The remap has caused to much additional heat which is not helped by the hot spell.

Solution is a front mounted intercooler of larger size.

Get vag-com to record heat and if it goes up to around 90 degrees you have hit the problem.

Hope this helps?

John

Someone called Sheepy on Seatenthusiasts.com used to have 119hp from his TDI Arosa and accurately timed at 7.9secs and does a 16.4 1/4 mile. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I would really like to see some evidence for that (i'm not being sarcastic, i'm honestly interested), as i would have though gaining 3-4 seconds from a remap is pretty incredible.

The extra 43bhp over standard might have helped laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

However with the same sort of increases in power on other cars, such as the new Golf GTI the 0-60 would drop to 3 seconds would it now. No way would 43bhp knock 3-4 seconds off a 0-60!

accurately timed at 7.9secs and does a 16.4 1/4 mile. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Hes a lier.

Or has or was using his speedo for checking the speed.

Theres no way that car could do a 60mph sprint in under 8 seconds.

Just to add we had this discussion a couple of years back with a chipped TDI owner.

Lets just say after he came to Santa Pod, he didn't make any more wild claimes again.

How much does the Golf weigh against the Lupo/Arosa though? Quite a bit more! You just have to take a look at what Petrified has achieved by losing weight to see what can be achieved by improving your bhp/ton ratio.

Got to admit I was a bit shocked at the figures when I 1st saw them too, but apparently there were people to witness it so Im not going to argue with it (just take hope that it may be possible). Also because of the gearing & set up of the TDI even comparing a chipped one against a standard Lupo GTI its going to be at least .5 seconds slower over a 1/4 mile.

Hes a lier.

Or has or was using his speedo for checking the speed.

Theres no way that car could do a 60mph sprint in under 8 seconds.

Just to add we had this discussion a couple of years back with a chipped TDI owner.

Lets just say after he came to Santa Pod, he didn't make any more wild claimes again.

LTRFTW (Been reading since the start of CL - not sure exactly why i've not posted)

What exactly happened regarding Carter at Santa Pod?

The 100+ bhp Arosa TDI at Pod got its ass well and trruly kicked by a stock standard Sport.

I'm sorry, I dont belive a standar engine chipped 1.4 TDI could get past 60mph any quicker than 9 seconds.

What exactly happened regarding Carter at Santa Pod?

Nothing.

It wasn't Carter who was spouting off about being faster than a GTI.

I'm sure Carter will remember the chaps name though.

Im at work, so dont have the time to look for the threads on it.

I will find them tonight and post the correct figures though.

Edited by Tigz