Rover 200Vi 143Bhp 0-60mph 7.5secs Good or Bad?

gargoil

Looking for a very cheap car in the £750-£1800 range to teach my girlfriend to drive in. She's not starting from scratch as she did lessons a few years ago but gave up and has had a go of a 300Bhp Fiat Coupe on base boost on a private industrial estate and got on ok. Insurance is too much for her to get added onto either the coupe or my Alfa so am looking for a wee cheap hatchback. Was originally thinking Ford Ka but thought for the same price could get a Rover 200. Got some insurance quotes and was sub £250 for all models of the Rover 200 including the 143Bhp 1.8 200Vi (0-60mph 7.5secs,0-100mph 22secs, not bad). There is two for sale near me with less than 80k on the clock in my price range. Just wondering if these cars will blow up or be dogs or are they pretty good. I know of the old k-series head gasket problem but will probably have the car for a wee while after her test. Or am I being stupid and should buy a 1l version or a 1.3 Ford to teach her?

Edited by gargoil

if the worst came to it and it was in an accident i'd much rather be in the ford. A basic fiesta or polo might be a better bet?

200Vi's are pretty rapid. What about insurance on the BRM edition smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The BRMs are starting at about £2k for a decent one. Quite like the Vi as it just looks like the non sporty model. ECU and breathing mods from the MGZR160(same vvc engine) can see a good power increase to 160Bhp but thats getting ahead of myself!! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I like the BRM. Full mulberry red leather, nice wheels and actually very good handling. Fast as well.

Interior (apart from leather) is pretty cack and the reliability is questionable (in fact you know it will break) but the K series angine is actually quite good apart from head gasket issues. They are lightweight and pretty rapid to be fair.

Spray the orange grill silver and you have a tidy cheap car IMO.

We've had a head gasket go on a rover 45 K series 1.6. Repaired for 500quid if I remember right. Skimmed the head and its been fine since. The main probem having the head gasket changed is its a engine out job more or less. The head is bolted on with bolts that go right through the block to have a sandwich effect

imo, if a 1.8 vi is cheap to buy and insure, id get one smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by syphon123

If you buy it you CANNOT come on here and moan if the head gasket blows. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think they're OK, but I suppose it's buyer beware?

106 or MKII Golf if you can find one.

I wouldn't advise buying the Rover though.

i just sold a very tidy mk2 16v for £1500 but i would not advise someone to buy one as a cheap car to run plus they have a head gasket issue as well.

if you want a cheap car dont buy a performance car, the two are mutally exclusive.

if you want a cheap car dont buy a performance car, the two are mutally exclusive.

Good point.

Unless you're lucky and find a cheap one that's been cherished and not ragged round by a baseball capped scrote.