Restarting after flat battery.

Hi everyone, ive just returned from 4 months travelling around Oz and NZ and my car has been in the garage since i left just after christmas.

Now i jump started the car and she started with no problems but when driving the brake system warning light is flickering and the ABS light is on, also a little alarm keeps sounding. Is this due to the battery having difficulty charging fully and maybe affecting the electrics, i say this as when i tried to turn on the lights all sorts of lights lit up on the dash and the car almost died.

Or do i need to get something re set as the battery has been dead for so long.

Help if you can

Cheers

Nick

I had the same problem as I can not drive my car for medical reasons. My brother drove it to the telford show but we decided to try everything the weekend before we went...good job as battery was flat. Jump started and was fine. He took it to the car wash and then to fill up with petrol. When he tried to start at the garage it would not start. Got jump started again and all seemed fine. This kept happening everytime engine was switched off. Brought a new battery in the end and was ok. Not been driven since telford show but started at wekend to make sure all was ok and she starts fine. So my suggestion would be to treat her to a new battery

Often if a battery becomes too low on charge it will not regain its charge memory, so you will probably need a new one smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My car was inactive, locked away in a dry garage, for 4 months and indeed, when I came to use it last week the battery was flat. Didn't have any of the problems you describe though, stuck it on charge and voila, was fine.

It depends on how deep the battery was discharged, and how old it is. On a new-ish battery you will get away with it. But my mk3's original battery is finally on its way out after 11 years! God bless VW for fitting better parts if they ran out of a certain part on the production line. It has a TDi (Umwelt) battery as standard, which has the date 11/01/95 on the side.

But the Lupo will never have problems starting. Weighs a ton, but starts in a split second. This can supply nearly 5 times the cranking current of a stock GTi battery. And I don't turn my mini itx pc off ever.