Offsets Again!!

dazraz_uk

They'll stick out a further 18mm on the offset (43 to 25) and then another 13mm (or so) for the extra half inch width.

Are they 15s?

Offset wise, the back will clear, but the front will probably sit outside the arches I reckon?

Standard gti offset is et43... et40 would be 3mm, not 9mm. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Tshirts including the extra for a 6.5 to 7", which would be 9mm, it would be 3mm if there were no difference in width.

so what about wheels with et23...yes or no??

Whats the width?

seven, and et is 26 not 23 as said before...

They would stick out 23mm more than stock. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Tshirts including the extra for a 6.5 to 7", which would be 9mm, it would be 3mm if there were no difference in width.

Whats the width?

Where I come from, half an inch is just over 12mm... thus, with the extra width and the offset difference, it would be 15mm not 9mm, surely?

Edited by nickilupo

Where I come from, half an inch is just over 12mm... thus, with the extra width and the offset difference, it would be 15mm not 9mm.

But thats not how offsets work hun, half of 12 is 6 (as your effectivly putting 1/4" either side of the bolt face) add 3=9.

Look at it like this, if your ET were 0 (dead centre) on say a 7" rim which is approx 78mm youd end up with 39mm of rim either side of your bolt face and so 39mm of lip. So for an ET of say 20 youd have 19mm of lip.

Hope that makes sence. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

to add a little fuel to the fire i have been told that it's not adviseable to roll gti arches - well, that's what i was told by a very respected company. (this assuming you have a gti?)

I believe (but dont quote me) this is to the arch liner being a strenghtening part of the arch, that said Clifford rolled and flared his.

to add a little fuel to the fire i have been told that it's not adviseable to roll gti arches - well, that's what i was told by a very respected company. (this assuming you have a gti?)
I believe (but dont quote me) this is to the arch liner being a strenghtening part of the arch, that said Clifford rolled and flared his.

The reason you dont want to roll the arches is that sometimes they tuck in at their ends which makes the mating edge with the bumper lose its smoothness and spoil the line of the arch (Fin's car did this).

Also if you cut off or roll the front arch lip there is nothing to attach the arch liner to. That is why when I modified the arch lips on my wings I had to modify the arch liners. Also the lip DOES add stiffness to the wing by the nature of its shape (try bending a thin flat piece of metal. Fold it at a right angle and then try bending it again across the fold line...notice how much harder it is to bend?).

The rears are much harder to roll as they are double skinned and much stiffer than the front arch lips. Do not grind much away from the rear lips as you could open up the spot welds resulting in the inner arch and outer quarter panel saparating.

The arch liner is plastic and DOES NOT add any strength to the wings. All it does is stop muck getting up into the body cavities and also makes the inside of the arches look nice and tidy. Probably cuts down on wind turbulance (and thus wind noise) around the arches too.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

i'd argue that the arch liner does add some integral strength - it's a chunky affair with not a massive amount of give in it.

still - rather have my arches unrolled - if a respected company doesn't want to feck them up then that's fine by me - i'm glad they were at least up front with didn't do it and knacker my car.