lupo vs puma

lighty

my gfs got a puma, looks reasonable, they messed up the wheel arches - about 30cm of clearance on the back, and really dont like the interior which with its overdose of hard silver plastic, I think looks cheap. However, i was suprised quite how much fun it is to drive, its really well balanced, sharp, and has the same power as my gti (which makes for some fun when were both driving).. no real point for this post other than I never see any posts here about pumas and think the puma is a similar proposition as the gti - small fun car, and its a sunday coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Haha, I was talking about this somewhere on general chat the other day!

Spooky.

Yeah, I was thinking we had this same discussion just the other week too. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

but its still a ford laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Fords are better than VW's FACT. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

WHAT! I can't belive what i'm hearing, It's a Ford people every part on the car is below average build quality! And also Lupo GTI's are limited editions to,only 995 in the uk.

Edited by Burns

WHAT! I can't belive what i'm hearing, It's a Ford people every part on the car is below average build quality! And also Lupo GTI's are limited editions to,only 995 in the uk and i'm proud to say that we have one in every colour in my group of mates. (Black, Blue, Grey, Red, Silver) biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

its a vw matey, its built to a budget and the aftersales service and depreciation is a s bad as a ford!

WHAT! I can't belive what i'm hearing, It's a Ford people every part on the car is below average build quality! And also Lupo GTI's are limited editions to,only 995 in the uk and i'm proud to say that we have one in every colour in my group of mates. (Black, Blue, Grey, Red, Silver) biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

All you are hearing is other Lupo owners admitting that other cars are at least the equal of the Lupo. Whats so shocking? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I love my GTi, am keeping it forever, but I keep it in perspective. The Lupo is a good little car, as is the Puma, imho. The Lupo GTi is a great little car, as its the Ford Racing Puma.

its a vw matey, its built to a budget and the aftersales service and depreciation is a s bad as a ford!

I'm with the Big man.

Don't agree there, Depreciation is no where near as bad as ford.

Depreciation is worse on the Lupo GTi than the FRP. Probably.

Edited by AndyW

I'm a car salesman myself and I just bought this GTI i have at the moment, its a 54 plate raven blue with leather and aircon with 11000miles for £9000 and I know for a fact I could sell it for £12500 if I wanted to. coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Sorry, but honestly, while its an amazing spec, you wouldn't get a sale unless someone was either desperate for a GTi, or rather not clued up on used values.

great, so in 2 posts youve established the fact that your a ****.

Now now matey, chill, no need for that. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I know for a fact I could sell it for £12500 if I wanted to

huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Thats cheered my night up.

Easy on the personal abuse please.

Few facts:

There are more LupoGTi's than there are FRP's. IIRC there were 500 FRP's.

FRP's have depriciated alot more than LupoGTi's - a 5 year old LupoGTi is going for roughly the same price as a similar age/mileage FRP in Autotrader (about £7000).

FRP's cost £23,000 new ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

As much as I'm not a great Ford fan, and the standard Puma is a bit camp, the FRP does look quite good - and its certainly a better drive than a LupoGTi.

Yes, the FRP was more expensive new, but I'd imagine prices for these have settled nicely, and I'm pretty sure that good examples will be fetching more than they are worth in certain circles.

I'd forgotten they were 23k new though. OUCH.

I was actually thinking that the LupoGTi depriciation has been quite good.

Bear in mind the 5 year old models are still £7k private on Autotrader, so thats only £1k per yer. That means its only lost 45% of its value in 5 years.

Not bad, when you think that most cars lose over 50% of their value in 3 years.

I think its give-and-take. All manufacturers from Citroen through toVW, Merc and BMW seem to be suffering from questionable reliabilty these days.

Remember the "If only everything in life was as reliable as a VW?"

They certainly used to be - My Mk1 Golf is still going strong, but I doubt you'll see many modern Polo's or Lupo's holding up aswell after 25 years.

Compare the build quality though, and the materials, of a VW to a Ford, and VW's feel alot more solid to me. Thats not to say they dont break as easily!

If you want reliabilty these days, you have to buy a Honda wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I doubt I'd buy another VW to be honest.

I'm not at that extreme just yet, they still lure me in. Every time I see anything to do with the Mk5 GTi I feel the need to part with money.

All cars have the potential to break down, it doesn't matter if they are made by BMW, Audi, VW, Skoda, Fiat or Bentley or Honda, they are mechanical objects and mechanical objects break down. Which is why I always find stupid comments like 'Its a Ford, it'll break down' rather silly, and infact the very notion of buying into a brand because of the perception of reliability.

Edited to say MattyB copied my homework miss. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by AndyW

I agree with andy on the reliability of modern cars, ive always liked vw design both interior and exterior over ford's though and the neat little touches, like turning the key to close and open the windows, blue illumination etc... wish vw's drive was as sorted as fords though, the equilvilent ford always seems to be more fun, although mark 5 golf and mark II focus are pretty equal ive heard.

I like the FRP, as does my Puma owning mate, but he says they're prone to rusting in the extended wheel arches and aren't that much quicker than a normal Puma.

Would I prefer one to a Loop GTI? Tough question.

As to the fact it's a Ford, I couldn't care a carrot. VW build is not what it was. Fact.

I've had a '90 Polo and an '88 T25 and both were built like tanks, but the Lupo isn't. It's got more rattles than Mothercare.

But I love it anyway. Just don't get too hung up on VW "quality".

• 3 weeks later...

Someone mention FRP? LOL

Heres my baby. Its an awesome car. i dunno where to start with it to be honest. I can talk all day and night about how good it is. Ill start with posting a nice pic P2180203Medium.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />