DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 5 AND 6 GEAR GTIS

Gaz-M

Hi people, on the lookout for a GTI and have found a tempting one that is a 5 gear model..

Just wondering what is actually different, is it a different final drive and an extra gear making the whole box much closer or is it a gear put alongside 5th gear with only a slight different ratio from 5th gear, meaning its identical ratios in all gears and final drive just with the added gear..??

Help please confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> , no guessing allowed!!!

Cheers..

Im pretty sure 6-speed was made with emissions in mind. My first Gti 5-speed had to be registered before certain new emmission controls came into effect...... or it would of been scrapped! ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

on paper it is deceptive comparing like for like in gear times.

obviously the 6 speed will have quicker in gear times if u put both the 5 speed and 6 speed in the same gear at the same speed.

in real life though i suspect that putting the 2 cars head to head there wouldn't be much in it as the 5 speed would just stay in gear for longer when the 6 speed has changed up a gear.

I dont think it was any of that.

Honda & Renault had fitted a 6 speed as standard, and selct people think 6 is better so they devoloped one.

Marketing if you ask me.

http://cars.yahoo.co.uk/b/a/cr_Volkswagen/.../100354123.html

2nd Paragraph:

"The Lupo was launched back in 1997 but the GTi didn't debut until 2001. In the interim, the range had been fleshed out by diesel and Sport variants and by the time the GTi made its entrance, the Lupo was no longer new news. The weighty price tag didn't help either, many realising that better value was to be found in Volkswagen's sister marques, Skoda and SEAT. To put the 125bhp Lupo GTi into some frame of reference, it costs a good deal more than the bigger 150bhp SEAT Ibiza FR. In other words, you really had to be seduced by the chunkily good looking styling of the Lupo to pay that sort of money. A few were and used examples are now appearing in a trickle. In April 2002 the Lupo GTi gained a sixth gear although few who drove the five speed car complained. In May 2003 the car became Euro IV emissions compliant."

I like my 6 Speed Too... shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

the 6 speed gives you a bit more flexibility when you driving....although id imagine the 0-60 time to be a little slower cos of having to shift up sooner.

6 speed box also has a much better feel, more precise and clunks into gear more cleanly.....of course its also better because 6 is a bigger number than 5 and more=better.

the 6 speed gives you a bit more flexibility when you driving....although id imagine the 0-60 time to be a little slower cos of having to shift up sooner.

6 speed box also has a much better feel, more precise and clunks into gear more cleanly.....of course its also better because 6 is a bigger number than 5 and more=better.

6sp box is just a 5speeder with an extra gear added and a extra notch in the selector housing!!

u can even see on the box casing were the extra gear is located.

5-6 speeder's are bulit exactly the same mate! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Red Lup Gti

6sp box is just a 5speeder with an extra gear added and a extra notch in the selector housing!!

5-6 speeder's are bulit exactly the same mate!

5-6 speeder's are bulit exactly the same mate!

having driven both it certainly doesnt feel like the same box with an added gear at the top the feel is different....and the review on top gears website agrees

ahh this one:

The mad cat-munchies effect can also now be experienced in the VW Lupo GTI, thanks to the fresh addition of a six-speed gearbox. From a steady cruise, notch it down a ratio or two and it transforms the personality of this seemingly innocent little city car into a frenzied, foaming-at-the-mouth beastie.

For such a titch, the Lupo is now a relatively ballistic device. As before it's propelled by the 1.6-litre engine with variable-valve timing and 125bhp from the heavier Polo GTI; much heavier in fact, because the Lupo benefits from an aluminium bonnet, doors and flared front wings. The replacement of the original's five-speed gearbox with a six-speeder means that the engine can now always be kept buzzing away, keeping it right in its power band and so at its most responsive. The shift action is improved too.

This is a properly quick little car, just a whisker off the performance offered by the likes of a Golf GTI turbo. It's significantly more fun to drive too, turning in crisply to corners and feeling nimble like few VWs do. The suspension is lowered 20mm all round, the downside being a ride quality bouncy enough to induce a bout of jogger's nipple over a lumpily-surfaced country road.

The Lupo certainly still looks the business and is more fun than it was before, but it also remains too expensive. A sizeable £1,380 less now buys you a Mini Cooper, remember.

I dont know how true it is but i heard somewhere that the 6 speed was developed as a stronger replacement box because of problems with 5 speed boxes popping under warranty? dont know if ne1 else kas heard nething similar?

Ours is a 6 speed, but I have 2 friends who have had 5 speed Polo GTIs between them they had 3 new gearboxes under warranty, both sold as soon as the warranty ran out, wonder why,

no such problems with the Loop, touch wood.

I prever the 6 speed, ratios seem closer. More involved drive.

Buy a five speed, save yourself some cash and slam it on coilovers. 6 speed wouldn't see which way you went with that standard custard based suspension. In gear times will be the last thing on your mind! Not that l'm biased..................... tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Seriously though, l've driven both and they both have plus points over the other but on your average A or B road it doesn't make a scrap of difference. A more pressing factor would be the phenomina known as................"The Driver". wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Chris

This needs clearing up as there is a lot of conflicting information. Please read this extract from the VW Driver article, it will tell you everything you need to know, including gear ratios to prove that 6th isn't just an overdrive gear. Maybe this could be added to the FAQ or something so we can re direct people when it inevitably comes up again.

5vs6sp3.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Here you go:

spec.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Are there anything like this for the 1.0 and 1.4 versions?? just think it would be cool, and also i want to see the difference in power/speed as im looking for a car in that speed range and wan to know smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> .

Corie,

Are there anything like this for the 1.0 and 1.4 versions?? just think it would be cool, and also i want to see the difference in power/speed as im looking for a car in that speed range and wan to know smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> .

Corie,

Anyone???? anyware at all?? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />