lowering springs

lup-2the-O

how many people who say "going over -40mm on std shocks causes damage" have actually tried it.

im not trying to be rude or offend anyone, and i know that in theory it should case damage.

but iv had no problems SO FAR, has anyone actually experienced problems with standard shocks after lowering?

Going lower than 40-45mm will destroy your standard shocks in the long run. Uprated shocks are generally shorter than the standard shocks aswell. Also if you have 60mm springs on standard shocks you run the risk of the spring popping out, which wouldnt be very nice.

60mm springs wouldnt pop out unless theyre actually shorter than the standard springs and usually theyre longer....but they will of course destroy your shocks as theyre just not designed to work together & will bottom out on bigger bumps. It also wont handle very well....to be blunt its a bodge up way to lower a car but is a cheap way to get the low look.

the idea is that your shocks are all the way out at standard ride height, so dropping the piston 6cm in before its even hit a bump, will surely damage the oil seals on a standard shock absorber. hense why most of us on here dont recomend changing to a 60mm drop without replacing the shocks with shortened shocks...

Ive said this before, but:

I had my 60mm on with standard shocks on for 20k with no adverse affects (checked the OE shocks before fitting)

When I eventually changed shocks the old one were still good!

I wouldnt expect this on something like a ford, but we drive VAG.