SeatSport

Hi All,

Im new to this forum, and have already found it quite useful.

Iv got a Seat Arosa TDi for a few months now. It runs absolutely fine except one thing. Everytime I press the brakes in the morning I get a grinding sound from the nearside; any ideas???

Ive been to Seat and the Service Manager offered to look at it for me (for 60 pounds just to diagnose the problem).

To be honest, the cars completely standard except its got 14" TSWs, Chrome Grille Kit and a number plate you'd need a magnifying glass to read.

One final point: I want to lower the Arosa about 30mm - which suspension should I go for?

evenin , welcome to the club mate biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . if your wanting to lower it 30mm ( its not that much when you see how high our cars sit as standard ) you'd prob be best going just for a set of lowering springs as they are cheaper

Im not sure if the TDi's have drum brakes on the rear but if they do then take them off and empty the brake dust, give the drum a rub round with some sandpaper type stuff to free the rest off, put it all back together and that should cure it. I had a similar thing on my arosa.

Any pics of your car?

Cheers guys.

I dont have any pics yet...will post them when iv got some pics.

The grinding actually stops after iv braked a few times, tho it seems to be coming from the front nearside discs/pads.

I tried lowering my car and got the springs. However, the company i got them from supplied me with 40mm petrol springs, and the car was sitting with front end lower than the back.

Can anyone recommend good quality lowering springs without spending too much; anything within 100 pounds will be good. although im prepared to spend more if needs be. Thanx.

Unfortunatly the front will always sit lower than the back.

TBH the TDI engine isn't any heavier than the petrol GTI engine.

So a GTI spring set up would work well.

If you take a look through the readers rides, at the cars on lowering springs then you'll see how high the rear looks.

It is level, it just doesn't look it.

If you drop the car 40mm at the front, the rear should be dropped to 60mm to match.

The grinding actually stops after iv braked a few times, tho it seems to be coming from the front nearside discs/pads.

Welcome

Roadsalt trapped between the disc and pad makes a grinding noise, or a sticking caliper maybe?

Don't need a dealer to get a sticking caliper sorted if can't do it yourself, there should be a local place in the yellow pages that does a brake service

Welcome

Roadsalt trapped between the disc and pad makes a grinding noise, or a sticking caliper maybe?

Don't need a dealer to get a sticking caliper sorted if can't do it yourself, there should be a local place in the yellow pages that does a brake service

Cheers mate...will look into it.

Hello and welcome to the club bud. Like has already been said it's possibly sommit trapped between disc and pad, but the only way to confirm for defo is to jack it up and av a little look. I had Eibach springs on the front and rear of my TDi which I found very good.

There is no question in my mind that Eibach are one of the top names in suspension components and would highly recommend them, they only drop by about 30mm, but give a very comfortable ride. I'll agree with Tigz by saying, the rear needs to be slighty lower so I as a result of that I use HK springs with height adjustable spring platforms to enable me to lower the back slightly lower than the Eibachs did. At the end of the day it's all down your own prefferance and of course,.... Money.

Good luck

Mark FKsprings1small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Edited by ArosaPD

Hi,

Just swapped my yellow 1.0s for a black 1.4tdi. nothing changed yet apart from cd/ipod head unit. nice to have the extra power under the bonnet though.

Plans are for a badgeless grill, possible lowering and new wheels.

Will post some pic's when it's clean again!