1.0 Gearbox change

1 Litre Screamer

I am trying to source a different gearbox to fit to my lupo, its a 1litre AUC engine, the problem is that it screams its poor nuts off at fairly moderate speeds. On the motorway doing 80 its screaming around the 5000-5250rpm's, hits the limiter at 95mph! not good, i was wondering if any of you have a suggestion as to which gearbox or even final drive i could look in to. the engine has a fair amount of torque over standard so it should cope with a different ratio. Hope theres help out there before i blow it up!!

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

well ive been told that all gearbox's r the same casing but the gti so i think you might get away with a lupo s gearbox but would check this with the others first

and there geared to do bout 115mph to 120mph

Its strange you can only reach 95mph.

My 1.0 used to hit 105 on the clock (99mph on the GPS) before hitting the limitter.

But I think with extra power it should be good for more than that.

Has it always hit the limitter at 95, or is this just since the TBs?

Its strange you can only reach 95mph.

My 1.0 used to hit 105 on the clock (99mph on the GPS) before hitting the limitter.

But I think with extra power it should be good for more than that.

Has it always hit the limitter at 95, or is this just since the TBs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its always been on the limiter, i had it at 100mph on a hill but that was pushing it through the limiter and it sounded like it was ready to let go. the TB's dont seem to have made any difference on the top end drivabililty.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i've gotta say your motor looks f***ing tidy on those rims.Really simple yet nasty and aggressive lookin with em too well nice!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i've gotta say your motor looks f***ing tidy on those rims.Really simple yet nasty and aggressive lookin with em too well nice!!  biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks mate, hopefully gona be looking better with a rear spioler shortly.

So did we ever discover if the gearboxes were interchangeable or not ?

I would be interested in this as well.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ERRMMM? dont think we did!! sounds like the lupo s box may fit but thats all we found, any help would be happily accepted. wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I would assume the TDI has longer ratios, but without looking into it cant be shore blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

But failing that as most VW gearboxes are internally the same try and get hold of a golf diesel final drive as they are longer, and replace 5th in the lupo gearbox with the diesel one.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the opposite problem as my race car is too long geared. What I can tell you is that I have tried pretty much all of the boxes available, which all interchange by the way, as evidenced by the 3 spare boxes I now have, and the longest final drive I have found is 3.6 with the shortest at 4.2. The shortest, 4.2, still gives me around 20 mph per 1000 revs which would equate to 100 mph at 5000rpm. the longest will give me around 24mph per k. I am ruunning on 205/50/15.

To overcome my problem I am going to have to get some 14 inch rims instead it seems.

But if anyone ever comes across a close ratio set for the lupo or polo box I would be interested to know.

my 1.0l used to hit 90mph at about 5500rpm and squealed abit but didnt really complain much. probably doesnt help but thought id mention it anyway!

Jen x

anything is welcome! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think i have damaged the ickle engine in my loop, i'll know for sure tomorrow afternoon when the engine comes apart, fingers crossed. confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

you havent got an induction kit have you by any chance? because i know that can reduce top speed.....otherwise sorry no idea about gearboxs

i do have an aftermarket filter on but its not a power loss issue, its a gearing one, the engine just runs out of it power band and cant make the hamsters run faster! i have made a big change to make it faster on acceleration though, i have taken the back seats and alot of the insulation out of the rear end. 46 kg to be exact and its made the whole car alot faster and handle a dam sight better too.

i do have an aftermarket filter on but its not a power loss issue, its a gearing one, the engine just runs out of it power band and cant make the hamsters run faster! i have made a big change to make it faster on acceleration though, i have taken the back seats and alot of the insulation out of the rear end. 46 kg to be exact and its made the whole car alot faster and handle a dam sight better too.

its not the matter of losing power, in my experience for some reason induction kits give you a lower top speed, my mate has a rover coupe, he could get close to 140 out of it without induction kit and then when he fitted it he only got 125-130, but then induction will improve acceleration so just whats more important to you (i know of other car this has done it too aswell)