lost pin on standard vw headunit

Altern8

you'll have to go into ur dealer, as they have to use the diagnostic machine to get the code!

Edited by lupogtiboy

yeah the manual says it in there (if you wrote it in) otherwise you have to go to VW. i helped someone else out on here so iv read the whole section on that, trust me on somthing for once.lol

I read in my 'Gamma' manual that the standard head unit only needs a PIN entering if it moves to a different car. The idea being that once it's entered for the first time the head-unit remembers the car and you should never need to enter the PIN number again (so long as it stays with the same car).

I have seen it working 'in-practice' once when I disconnected the power one time - I was expecting to have to input the PIN but the car and head-unit recognised one-another and there was no need (kind of like a mason's handshake?).

i took mine out on sat to try a new headunit i got, and when i put it back in, the h/unit said 'safe', so had to put the keycode in. was only disconnected for about 20 mins! but it did remember radio stations and my sound settings!

My Golf had the Gamma HU out for over a year as I had an Alpine system and the battery had been disconnected many times.

I put it back in before I sold it and it asked for a code "SAFE". Turned the ignition off and came back an hour later, started the car and noticed it went into "LEARN" mode and within a few seconds the radio was back on.