Lupo GTI ITB conversion.

LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Andi

As you will already know from your own tb thread the crank trigger is indeed at 60 - 2 tooth one made by Bosch. I no longer require to have one made as my Motec will work from the OE one. Hope you can use this too as Mike won't be making any now (well he would if you asked him for one yourself but we wont get the cheap deal for wanting 2 anymore).

Cam sensor, VVC control

The cam position sensor is the sensor at the gearbox end of the head. The VVC position sensor is the one at the cambelt end of the head near ther oil filler cap.

Andyp

Only car work I do at work is internet searching and ringing companies up for information. All practical work is done at home or at MBE on Allenby estate.

Will be cool when mine and Andi's car are both running on TB's. A direct comparison between a 1400cc and a 1600cc on TB's. Combined effort of 16,000rpm going down the drag strip should prove interesting for the ears.

cant wait to hear/see it up and running! got a finishing date at all? got a date/show in mind for the grand unveiling?

Will be cool when mine and Andi's car are both running on TB's. A direct comparison between a 1400cc and a 1600cc on TB's. Combined effort of 16,000rpm going down the drag strip should prove interesting for the ears.

looking forward to this too!

Jen x

gurl_racer

It was supposed to be finished yesterday. Lots of things are being done at the moment (wiring loom adaptor plug, ECU is still not here though is ordered, currently designing a new throttle pedal to take a cable) but car is still not throttle bodied yet sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

The "grand unveiling" is supposed to be Ultimate Dubs but at this rate I wont have it ready in time. Certainly not going to have been to the bodyshop before that show anyway sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Shame its not done mate.

I expected it would take longer than first estimated.

Theres so much work involved, and too many suppliers to rely on.

Has he had the lower dash out yet and removed the pedal and flyby wire?

Looking forward to taking a drive with you mate biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think until you undertake something like this you forget how many little things there are to check out.

You and me are both finding out Andi. There are things on my car that I never knew existed and we are having to consider them!

The lower dash has been out to check for access to pedal area and they think they can swap the accelerator pedal without taking the upper dash out, I hope they are right.

You are high on the list for rides out in it so do not worry. Not showing anyone though until everything is tidied up and clean to my usual standards.

• 2 weeks later...

Got all my callipers rebuilt and fitted my new discs and pads so all running gear is sorted now, clean and all greased / painted.

Car goes in this Tuesday to have the tb's fitted and all the associated work done. Guess it will be gone for nearly a month as still got to make a pedal box and also sort the brake servo vacuum pick up points while it is the garage.

Bonnet cable is about to snap as well...oh what great timing! Looks like I will claiming my fifth bonnet release on warranty very soon!

Car went in this morning.

Looked at my Motec ECU, its tiny, smaller footprint than a cd case and looks really nice in gold (though it will not be seen as going behind passenger side of dsash under airbag).

Tigz

Drive by wire throttle pedal is same as a cable pedal with extra bits added to convert to drive by wire. Simply removing the drive by wire bits and buying extras to convert back to cable specification. Another headache that may be eliminated.

The cable pedal is completly diffrent darren, it has a bar that runs the whole lenth of the pedal box attatched to the top of the mount.

The cable then comes through the bulk head behind the clutch pedal.

Have you had a price on the ECU yet?

Hmm, whats going on then?

I asked the guy about the pedal this morning and he has spoken to VW and told me they are similar.

Ahhhhh. Remember very early Gti's came with cable throttle, wonder if later Gti used the early Gti cable throttle pedal but adapted for drive by wire? Maybe my pedal is nearly identical to a cable pedal just with drive by wire bits added to it.

No price on ECU yet, paid £1000 early on for tb's, inlet manifold design time and inlet manifold manufacture and paid nothing since. Think ECU is about £1000 but not confirmed until I get the itemised receipt.

Been to check on my car and here is whats happened so far

Inlet manifold is ported and polished (not too much otherwise will get bad mixing of air/fuel due to lack of turbulance and also puddling of fuel).

Tb's fitted to manifold

Throttle linkage all fitted (underneith so not visible from top-nice and tidy)

Injectors and fuel rail cleaned and fitted

Fuel pressure regulator fitted

Inlet manifold tapped to supply servo vacuum

Carbon trumpets modified to allow them to fit close to each other and fitted now

ECU fitting bracket made and ECU fitted in scuttle near standard ecu location

Grommet removed to allow fitting of throttle cable.

Still to do

Fit throttle cable and set up stops for correct travel

Fit nice big ITG air filter

Wire up ECU...errr this looks worryingly messy at the moment. The scuttle panel is removed and the loom is layed over the engine with various wires identified.

Exhaust maifold, remove the pre-cat.

Fit new transponder immobiliser

Do you think he will have a wireing diagram of what he is attempting?

Ive been trying to work my way through the wireing diagrams on ELSA and it looks like I may need to go the same route as you, runnin the two ECUs.

If it works, any chance you could get some info from him?

Is he still thinking 1 months work?

Initially they were going to run a new ECU and leave the standard ECU on. Then they said totally remove the original ECU as they are happy everything (aprt from engine) works without it. Now they look to be confused confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

I think they have got some wiring information but only on what wires do what systems and they have been doing that by testing each wire in turn. I will enquire when I go in this week as to how they did (or still doing if they have not completed) and get back to you. Would think the wiring is quite different of both our cars though.

I think it is supposed to be ready a week on Friday. However, my mate is also having throttle bodies and engine work done by Mike and when my mate went to check his car progress yesterday Mike said "I will do your stuff next week when I have finished Darren's car".

The wiring (Thanks Twisty) is pretty stupid.

It goes from the engine, into a bus. From the bus to the ECU. From the ECU to another bus. Then from this second bus to the clocks.

The Rev counter and speedo dont work from the engine sensors, they are filtered/smoothed out somehow before the signal reaches the clocks.

It looks to me, that prety much everything that goes to the clocks, first passes through the ECU.

Have they got the full diagram?

Rev limiter is not controlled by clocks. Also clocks are quite damped (could explain what Tigz said about signal smoothing). If you launch the car in first gear you can get to the rev limiter with the rev counter still at 5000rpm as it cannot respond fast enough to the engines increase in revs.

The rev limiter will be ecu controlled and most likely from the crankshaft sensor which is used to tell the ecu how fast the engine is turning.

With aftermarket ecu I can have my limiter set to where I want (obviously have to be sensible here) but with your chipped polo I think you may struggle to change the factory setting.

Just checked on this weeks progress.

Throttle cable fitted and functioning. Could not use exisitng grommeted hole in bulkhead though as the master cylinger is in the way. Took a whole day to get this sorted out.

Air filter now fitted.

ECU wired up, though only roughly at moment incase anything need changing.

Air filter on.

Not sure if pre-cat is removed or not.

Not sure if new transponder immobiliser is fitted yet either.

Best bit though is

First firing up tommorrow hopefully. Best get my plastic pants on for when I hear it bark into action.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Best bit though is

First firing up tommorrow hopefully. Best get my plastic pants on for when I hear it bark into action.

Dont forget about my name in your address book wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

"ring, ring, ring, ring"

"Hello Darren this is Andi"

"rararararar raaaaaaaaaaar raaaaaaaaar raaaaaaaaaaar raaaaaaaaaaar"

Well it may go more like.

"ring, ring, ring, ring"

"Hello Darren this is Andi"

"buzzzzzzzzzzzzz. *silence* Well the fuel pump is still working!"

I am supposed to be going to Ultimate Dubs but not looking to promising now. Will make a make or break decision next Tuesday.

Apart from that I wont be going too far in it for a month or so until I have got all off the finishing touches complete as wont be certain of reliability until it has done a few miles.

I have got to remove undertray I think to get it on rollers for mapping and lower bumper is off but this could not be done easily for future rolling road days so can only watch if I attend them.

Rev limiter is not controlled by clocks. Also clocks are quite damped (could explain what Tigz said about signal smoothing). If you launch the car in first gear you can get to the rev limiter with the rev counter still at 5000rpm as it cannot respond fast enough to the engines increase in revs.

The rev limiter will be ecu controlled and most likely from the crankshaft sensor which is used to tell the ecu how fast the engine is turning.

With aftermarket ecu I can have my limiter set to where I want (obviously have to be sensible here) but with your chipped polo I think you may struggle to change the factory setting.

Thats very bad news...

You dont know anyone that has done this?

I dont believe that it cant be done....

Thats very bad news...

You dont know anyone that has done this?

I dont believe that it cant be done....

The problem you have is you have an engine with electronic throttle.

On an older car (or one say with a cable throttle) you could flash the ECU nd build a map from scrap.

Then you could set the ECU to what you want.

Your 'Chip' alters the standard setting slightly, but only as much as the VW map allows.

You could start a new ECU system from scratch, but the time it would take in devolment time would make it cheaper, to pull out the VW wiring and ECU and go for an after market ECU.

Thats the only way your raising the limitter on your standard VW ECU.

You can allways cut your TB and use its electronics, (steper, pots ,etc)

About changing the rpm limiter, injection is simple just edit on the flash, there are lots of good technicians in UK that can make that.

I'm not in uK I remaped my own ECU, not easy but acessible

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />