HOW TO FIT 280MM G60 BRAKES TO YOUR GTI

Loopy Lupo

a little' bit of info for anyone looking to get the carriers from a breakers...

according to the main dealers from looking up the part number...

The caliper carrier can be got from the following cars:

Corado - g60

Golf mk2 - g60

jetta - g60

upto 97 passat - tdi

upto 96 vento - vr6

Golf mk3 - gti 16v 150bhp

SEAT ibiza Cupra mk3's(1.8t) use these same brakes too

Alot of these brakes are coming up for sale as the owners are opting for Brembo 305mm conversions on their ibizas so look out for them on the cheap guys smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

T

SEAT ibiza Cupra mk3's(1.8t) use these same brakes too

Alot of these brakes are coming up for sale as the owners are opting for Brembo 305mm conversions on their ibizas so look out for them on the cheap guys  smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

T

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

now you tell me....... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

is there any scope for a larger rear disc conversion using the same kinda principles wi the carriers of another vw?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cant you just use the g60 carrier on the rear with same 280mm disk? or would it be stupid having front and rear with same braking power? would it work?

The biassing would be different anyway, so even though you had the same braking ability front and rear, the rear would never brake as hard

The biassing would be different anyway, so even though you had the same braking ability front and rear, the rear would never brake as hard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know steve, but for looks wise, would it work? or would all the electric gizzmos play hovoc?(abs etc...) i have no clue about elctric things

or would it be stupid having front and rear with same braking power?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You asked if it would be stupid to have the same braking power front and rear, and then tell me you know that they'll be different. That's twice in 5 mins that you've asked a question, and then told me you know the answer!!! If you know it, don't ask it!

As for the electrics/looks etc, I don't know, and can't be bothered to think about it, cos you'll just tell me you know anyway!!

• Like 1

What you asked appears not to have been what you wanted to know. Maybe worth thinking about what you're writing, so as to avoid telling people who are trying to help you that you already know what they've said.

There would be no point at all. The braking system is split proportionally front and rear, so you wouldn't get any more power. If for whatever reason the calipers were more efficient at th rear though and did apply more force, then the brake balance would get totally ****ed up and the rear would overtake the front if you stamped on the brakes really hard.

If for whatever reason the calipers were more efficient at th rear though and did apply more force, then the brake balance would get totally ****ed up and the rear would overtake the front if you stamped on the brakes really hard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have had this happen to me. Not pleasant at all, and wrote off possibly my favourite car (of the ones I've owned!). Not happy.

im sori steve but im gona say this to you know. WHY THE HELL DID you JUST SAY THAT 2 ME EARLIER!!!!!!! Thats all i was bloody asking mike managed to answer it whyt couldnt you, he understood me.

you know i love you realy just saying

But Steve basically said the same as me, only missed the bit about the rear overtaking the front. You then said that you weren't interested in the actual braking ability...only the looks!

I love threads like this laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they just chear you up dont they? but leave him alone now eh hes got two people ripping in to him whereas that thread about the uninsured guy he deserves it

And back to topic Anyone know an upgrade for the arosa 1.4's then? as replcaceing the hubs seems quite extreme and a lengthly process basically the same as converting a mini from drum to disc from what youve said

Edited by The subtle modder
  • Like 1

If it's a Sport and has caliper carriers, you can upgrade using the same method described in this post. Otherwise, you're probably looking at getting the entire assembly including hubs and calipers smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

that thread about the uninsured guy he deserves it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, am gutted that was closed....was going to rip into him too!! Lol

As you say, back to topic. Bloody good write up. Nicely done, clear, concise and thought provoking. Would consider doing this to the 1.0, but reckon it'll be a noticably bigger job, and without having any kind of an interesting powerplant, seems pretty pointless at this time. Still, you never know......

yeah but if the looks will bring bad braking im not gona do it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

??? What are you on about? This whole thread is about changing the FRONT brakes. You were the only one who talked about changing the rear brakes. Changing the front brakes will make no difference other than increasing stopping power and mabye shifting the brake bias forward a tiny bit, which won't have any adverse effects.

I thought about the back brake situation a bit more earlier. It would actually increase braking force as of course the momement from the caliper to the hub will be greater, meaning that although the brake pressure will be the same, the effective torque on the wheel will be more.

Edited by ArosaMike

if the rears are the same size as the fronts you'd probably be ok as your changing the disc size all round so all braking forces are stronger.

if they are smaller you could just change the size by the same amount and still have the same balance

Edited by Topper

The rears are smaller as standard though, so the brake force would be out because the system would be loosing the effect of both less actual force on the pads and a smaller disc. The force applied would still be the same as before yes, but the actual breaking torque on the wheel would be increased over standard because the disc would not be in proportion to the front. Trust me...part of one of my modules at Uni was about braking systems smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

so if the size increases were in proportion it would be fine eg 256 -280 and 226 -250.

If the rears are 228 then you may be lucky enough that the fronts could go on the back.