Subframe replacement

BioTriffid

So I've been putting it off but after much gathering of parts I managed to change out my old subframe for a nice new one. 

Through the rain me and my partner got the old one out in no time at all.

Everything was going well until i went to drive the car the alignment was out by miles and couldn't drive the car at all. 

I've got more to tell but it's a long story.

IMG_20230813_172917967.jpg

IMG_20230812_110949933.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@mk2well since the old subframe was completely bent from the years of abuse it appears the tracking was out by miles so I had to drive it ten miles with both front wheels scrubbing and squealing along luckily I had 4 new ones going on the next day, turns out the tracking was out by 5 on both sides so i guess that's not a thing to be proud about lol.

But I can only recommend that you fit new everything apart from suspension (unless you are) I am running camber bolts but I sense I may no longer need them 🤔

Get a full subframe alignment if you can find a garage that has that.

But my next date with the lupo is to get the bonnet fixed and I need to pull the passenger side rear sill out since it was bashed in years ago in a kfc car park.

5 degrees both sides?! OMG... yeah must have really been squealing! LOL.

I need to take some pics of my freshly blasted f & r frames. Then, the swapsies start. Remove then get another blasted and so on, until I get to the worst one which goes to the metal recyclers along with an old cat I just swapped out. It's going to take a while.

• 3 months later...

I do love a subframe thread. Hours (days) of potential "fun". My alignment was way out after the swap although not by that much it sounds! Didn't know some places would do subframe alignments I just went off the dirt marks as near as I could. Might have to investigate one of these places...

• Like 1