Drivers door microswitch - not the microswitch

Having an issue with drivers door microswitch. Passenger side works fine.

No interior light coming on or buzz when headlights are left on and ignition removed. Annoyingly, the car keeps locking when the drivers door is open and a dead battery when I returned due to the headlights being left on...

Replaced lock mechanism with a new Chinese one, still no difference. (Tested chinese in another GTI and does work)

Replaced with a known working used one - no difference.

Unplugged door wiring loom and fitted another one and plugged in the mechanism only - no change. (All the other connections dont need to be connected do they? I fitted it in but didnt route through the door)

My thinkings are:

Wiring issue further down the line beyond the drivers door harness?

Potentially the last owner modified something in VCDS to bypass the door microswitch? - set it to be closed all time rather than replacing it if it was faulty? Is this possible? I think this as the car has had some VCDS changes such as horn blip on lock and auto lock above 10mph.

Are there any specific fuses for the microswitch?

Any thoughts?

Edited by James_VW
word

Believe it or not, the interior light system is also linked to the headlight switch and the ignition key switch. It is possible that the headlight switch or the ignition switch has a fault (both common age/wear related problems).

On 7/22/2023 at 8:49 AM, mk2 said:

Believe it or not, the interior light system is also linked to the headlight switch and the ignition key switch. It is possible that the headlight switch or the ignition switch has a fault (both common age/wear related problems).

Wouldn't that also make the passenger side not work?

Did a vcds scan and only issue is something with the alternator so don't believe this to be related.

I also swapped the headlight switch from a working gti aswell, no change.

All I can think is a wiring issue between the a pillar and central locking module or a central locking module failure. 

I wonder if through vcds you can force a door open event to see if that function does work which would prove a wiring issue.

Edited by James_VW