Brake service 1.4 tdi

Hi all.

So my brakes are shite on my 1.4 TDI arosa. Get shudder when braking at speed. Hand brake is also poor so going to get some rear shoes and adjust the cable. 

I seem to remember when I had discs and pads fitted that one of my calipers was sticking. Does anyone have a link for a caliper service kit? I'm hoping my calipers themselves aren't shot as they seem to be rocking horse sh** to find. 

Advice welcome.

Most frequent handbrake fault is caused by the activation lever sticking in the shoe. Pull the shoe out and move the levers a lot until they loosen up. Then you can put a teeny tiny drop of spray grease on the hinge point. That usually fixes it :)

And while you're there, check the self adjusting wedges are free to slide up and down.

The front calipers are based on old Mk2 Golf types. And just about any similar shaped vdub pads fit. I use VW Vento pads (last a bit longer). I haven't done any research, but I'm pretty sure that many calipers should fit or at least a rebuild kit will be available, as there are/were so many similar types around with only the mounting bolts being slightly different.

On 7/8/2023 at 4:03 AM, Stephenmacleod said:

Hi all.

So my brakes are shite on my 1.4 TDI arosa. Get shudder when braking at speed. Hand brake is also poor so going to get some rear shoes and adjust the cable. 

I seem to remember when I had discs and pads fitted that one of my calipers was sticking. Does anyone have a link for a caliper service kit? I'm hoping my calipers themselves aren't shot as they seem to be rocking horse sh** to find. 

Advice welcome.

Similar problems with my Arosa tdi which in the past have meant very regular disc and pad replacements which cure the problem temporarily but it always returns, this time I'm going for 280 mm discs, Sirocco carriers Mintex pads and new MK 5/6 Golf GTI callipers and of course some lightweight 15 inch alloys, as yet only the alloys are fitted but they on their own with wider tyres have reduced the judder, if this doesn't work, I don't know what to do, maybe look at Polo rear disc stub axles which are a simple bolt on. 

• 4 weeks later...