Spotting an Import

Stu92

I've found a GTi that i'm going to see on Thursday, I've not seen the car yet since its at another branch of the dealer (not VW). The car is of high spec all standard VW stuff and the price seems to be a bit of a steal.

So I have a niggling thought that the car might be an import. So i want to know:

Is there an easy way (document etc.) of spotting an import?

Is there any disadvantage of having an import?

What makes you think its an import?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its just every other car of the same year and spec if about £2k - £2.5k more. And just wanted some info on imports up my sleeve before I go and see it. If it is, I might use it for ammo to reduce the price.

Don't forget that GTi prices have never been particularly constant, or predictable, and while the amount you said seems a big difference, I'd not be concerned too much.

I forget how you can tell an import, someone else will know. There are currently two GTi owners on this forum with cars that are technically 'imports' as in they are not UK spec cars, but as these cars were registered in the UK, they are UK cars, and won't affect they're values one bit. Infact, due to the fitment of climate control in these examples, I'd argue they are more desirable due to being so rare.

The big giveaway is the stearing wheel being on the "wrong side" lol

Seriously, if its an import it will almost certainly be from ireland so no issues, on resale. Also look in the log book and it will say where it came from.

my car started its life in Ireland, Ive never considered it as an import though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mine is an import...

imported from spain 3 yrs ago brand new... good spec..sunroof, aircon, side airbags etc.

Saved 3k on new uk price...

now done 60k with absolutely no probs...

love it to bits, would never sell...

...anyway,

suppose car would be worth 3k under book for uk car 2nd hand so not worth a carrot now, but i dont really mind.

has to be one of the most underrated cars on the road.

Well obvious things are climate control ISO air con and also the V5 will mention it as imported maybe.... ask?

But as Andi (tigz) said, you should check it very carefully for accident damage and FSH etc. Lift up the boot carpet and check the panels all match in the same silver etc... its cheap for a reason!

There are currently two GTi owners on this forum with cars that are technically 'imports'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every VW is 'technically' an import, as they don't have a factory in the UK wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

If it's an EU import, I wouldn't worry. If it's a Jap import, I'd be much more wary...

The big giveaway is the stearing wheel being on the "wrong side" lol

Seriously, if its an import it will almost certainly be from ireland so no issues, on resale. Also look in the log book and it will say where it came from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats funny, i thought the lupo gti imports were right hand drive.

Mine has climate I have checked the V5 and cant seem to find anything about it being an import I would say the bloke before me must of had it put in but there isnt a bloke before me because it was brand new lol!! so how mine ended up with it is still a mystery blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> !!

Edited by Ty

Mine has climate I have checked the V5 and cant seem to find anything about it being an import I would say the bloke before me must of had it put in but there isnt a bloke before me because it was brand new lol!! so how mine ended up with it is still a mystery  blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> !!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still pretty convince your car is technically an import. It more than likely was sourced from VW in a RHD european country by a car importer like micronet, then brought factory fresh to the UK, registered and plonked on the road. Its a uk registered new car, and so not an import in name. Instead of saying import (which has negative meaning to many), we'll start calling you and Rob's cars "Euro spec". smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'm still pretty convince your car is technically an import. It more than likely was sourced from VW in a RHD european country by a car importer like micronet, then brought factory fresh to the UK, registered and plonked on the road. Its a uk registered new car, and so not an import in name. Instead of saying import (which has negative meaning to many), we'll start calling you and Rob's cars "Euro spec". smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the sound of 'Euro Spec' good choice lol wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> !!