Lupo steering rack

Gapsdmg

Was informed by my garage yesterday the steering rack burst on my 03 1.4 lupo. Said I’m looking at £400 bill. Should I seek another opinion or does this seem fair? Getting a bit fed up now as I must have poured thousands into it for repairs in the 5 years I’ve had it and I really can’t afford this latest repair. Any advice appreciated

Probably the pipe? Common fault. Much cheaper and takes an hour to swap. Or simply pull out the old one (the high pressure feed pipe) and take it down to pirtec who'll fix or copy it for you. Unlikely to be the rack itself. Or the pump.

Have a search through the threads as there's someone on here who's found a company or place that could supply them quite cheaply, by mail. Then any garage could swap it for you while you wait. (Don't forget a litre of green german hydraulic fluid). 👍🏻 :)

https://www.powersteeringstore.co.uk/

I used these who can supply the pipes.

ETA: Why the special green fluid? What would regular ATF do to the pump/seals? I just found some in my spares shelf and remembered being advised to use the green stuff.

Edited by scotty2
  • Like 1

I think the german hydraulic fluid is closer to brake fluid than an oil... So somehow different.

Or perhaps a blend of fairy washing up liquid and diesel?

And cheers @scotty2, as I have a spare pipe I need to get rebuilt... 👍🏻

Edited by mk2

The PAS fluid is a green mineral based oil specifically made for hydraulic pas racks and the convertible roof pumps, VW part number is G 00 4000 M2 £16.13 for a litre bottle