Loss of power - 1.4 tdi

First post in ages! 

So my arosa 1.4 TDI, on the way home from work, suddenly lost power, still running fine but as if the turbo wasn't kicking in, very slow going up the rev range, had to downshift from 5th and struggled to go above 2.5k revs. No warning lights, nothing. Got it home, left in an hour, took it back out and it ran fine again. Boosting all ok.

Now my instant thoughts are airflow issue, maybe map sensor, egr valve possibly? The thing that's throwing me off is no warning lights or anything and the fact it runs fine now is a mystery. 

TIA

9 hours ago, Stephenmacleod said:

First post in ages! 

So my arosa 1.4 TDI, on the way home from work, suddenly lost power, still running fine but as if the turbo wasn't kicking in, very slow going up the rev range, had to downshift from 5th and struggled to go above 2.5k revs. No warning lights, nothing. Got it home, left in an hour, took it back out and it ran fine again. Boosting all ok.

Now my instant thoughts are airflow issue, maybe map sensor, egr valve possibly? The thing that's throwing me off is no warning lights or anything and the fact it runs fine now is a mystery. 

TIA

Just signed up to search for this, my girlfriends Lupo TDi is having the same issue. Occasionally loses boost all together, but turning the ignition off and on again fixes it. So far I've gathered (from a bit of googling) that it's likely the N75 valve (boost solenoid). But that's as far as I've got 😅

Stuck EGR valve? Fuel lift pump? Any stored diagnostic codes? 

By the symptoms, sounds more likely to be an electrical issue than mechanical. Looms in 3pot TDIs are notoriously prone to wiring breaks from engine vibration.

On 2/4/2023 at 10:02 AM, mk2 said:

Stuck EGR valve? Fuel lift pump? Any stored diagnostic codes? 

By the symptoms, sounds more likely to be an electrical issue than mechanical. Looms in 3pot TDIs are notoriously prone to wiring breaks from engine vibration.

Think the odb port is goosed on it, nothing seems to connect to it (tried various Bluetooth odb readers that worked in my Ibiza 1.9 TDI, as well as someone's snap on diag tool. But no dash lights or anything.

My first  Lupo Tdi did similar and it had a tear in the rubber intercooler pipe. These days I no longer have it but I do also have an Arosa Tdi. 

Yeah, good call on the rubber intercooler pipe. There's that cheap plastic connection/clip that's meant to stop it flapping about down the bottom end. Wouldn't be surprised if that is where a leak starts from. But, you'd definitely hear a whistling sound when it's boosting.

Oh, and to communicate with Lupos via diagnostics port, you need to set it to use the "k" line protocol, whatever that is. Doesn't like the newer comms protocols... :)

• 3 weeks later...

update on this:

it seems to be happening more frequently now, i can be driving it for ages and itll be fine, then itll be a bit spluttery at low revs and it will be really slow going up the revs and just cap off at 2-2.5k revs. turn ignition off, restart car and its fine again. No major turbo whistle or anything like that, and temps sitting fine...

Also, turns out its just my ODB scanner that wasnt working on it, tried a different scanner tool (with torque app) and it worked fine. No stored codes and no EML or anything ever pops up when this happens