alternator replacement

My Lupo alternator just stopped working, it was one of few maintaince parts that hasnt been replaced on my Lupo, im glad and very suprised my engine shut down exactly when my rear tire hit the curb on my parking lot, it was perfect timing.

Anyway it was weak 70A 037903025L model and since I need to remove it anyway I want to go for used 180A 03G903016A. Look like plug and play upgrade, but the 180A has Valeo “VL2” voltage regulator and mine has Bosch “L DFM” voltage regulator. What do you think guys, will it work?

Update:

Is that possible that lead battery recharges itself from deeper levels after being almost dead empty?
Today I was going to remove the  battery to bring it inside and recherge since yesterday battery was not able to light single interior light bulb, but after opening Lupo doors today the interior was bright and was able to start the car. I dont know what is going on. Looks like alternator was working too, but since I can not imagine any other cause of this problem I will repair or change the alternator ASAP.

It cannot be recharged by itself. The voltage can still increase after you have removed a consumer, but in no case after it is almost completely empty. I think you have a connection problem. First of all, check the connection to the earth next to the battery and the condition of the connections to the fuses on the battery (they look like blades attached with screws). Unfold them, clean the oxides well with contact spray, then put them back. A multimeter would be helpful in locating the problem.Do not replace the alternator unless necessary.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:20 AM, ObjectiveAway said:

my engine shut down exactly when my rear tire hit the curb on my parking lot

and that would be an indication that you rather have a connection problem. I have had problems with the alternator a few times, but it has never manifested itself like this. Each time the charging voltage dropped (I have a voltmeter at the cigarette lighter socket and I can see the battery voltage all the time), but the engine never stopped. Only once did the relay suddenly burn out and my battery light on the dashboard came on.

How old is the battery? I've twice had what I thought were alternator failures with similar odd behaviour a bit like yours, 1st time round, battery went completely dead and had to call out breakdown, wouldn't even power the hazard warning lights. RAC were convinced it was alternator, getting weird readings (but no alternator warning light). Replaced the battery, had no problems for another year of driving, alternator was charging new battery properly.

Recently got alternator light on dash, alternator not charging battery at all, but eventually traced it to the Bosch voltage regulator on the alternator. Managed to replace it in situ without having to take alternator out. (Nightmare on the SDI apparently...). Gave all the connections a good clean as well to be "belt-and-braces". Never yet had to fully replace the alternator...did seem it was either connections or voltage regulator (or battery) both times...