Trying to see the way forward

Roadrash

Hi folks my name's Keith and I'm a workaholic....... na, na we'll not get into that,  I'm glad to be here and hope all is good with you.  Though a longstanding VW head and having already had a number of Lupos, but never got around to  doing anything with them,  I have only just recently joined up here with with you guys. and thought I'd ask 2 things here and learn  from your knowledge before I let rip and try to sort myself, for my latest purchase Lupo S which I bought for the princely sum of €300. (BTW I'm from Ireland)

First headlights?  Over the years I replaced headlights in Mk. I and lI Golf with crystal clear lens units.  Does anyone know of similar good quality lights to suit a 2002  r.h.d Lupo? 

And secondly I had a set of leather seats from a 94 Ibiza Cupra  bought for a  Mk III Golf GTI.  I intend fitting to the same Lupo. On first inspection I see the current seats are off a Mk. IV Golf/Bora set up, held at the front sliding position with two 13mm nuts on standard m8 studs.  This is no problem as I'm a toolmaker/ mechanical engineer by trade plus I run a replacement SRS airbag business now in its 29th year and have a  guy who repairs seats that have blown their airbags on a daily basis, so I can do away with the Cupra middle inserts.  Again does anybody know is there any form of aftermarket bracketry already available for the centre mount conversion from the Mk IV set up to the Mk II/Mk III setup (and if not, no problem, there will be one created very shortly).

Though this car is intended for herself, I intend to trick it out to a certain point.  I'm not allowed mess with the mechanical side of it (but I am planning on a 1.4 TFSI/DSG conversion from a 2017 A3 for a second car).   

Any advice or help/direction on the above would be greatly appreciated.  In return if I can ever help any of you please let me know.  I look forward to spending time here reading up on different topics. 

Thanks,  Keith 

thanks tig, if i can get back to present projects first i`ll be happy even enough  have already built a 1990 mk. II golf van with 2.0tdi engine and dsg box, i dont see the next lupo money trap as being a  long un.  once measurement  are made . but i`ll get  this one wraped up first.

I do think it’s interesting your going to put a DSG unit in the Lupo. I also run a DSG in a caddy 1.6tdi but it has a 1.5-2 second set off  delay which some DSG set ups have which for as much as I like some parts of the DSG that bit is outright DANGEROUS.
There’s been lots of times I’ve had near misses coming out of junctions because the gap has gone by the time it’s thought about moving off and angry drivers waving so in my case I’ve to drive straight into traffic regardless of any gaps and hope I get a slot! 😱 On the other hand there’s also DSGs that respond immediately and go like **** off a shovel! 

Edited by tigcraft
  • Like 1

Welcome!

I also like the idea of DSGs, but getting them working just the way "you" want is hard work. Each gearbox controller is tuned for the torque curve of the engine and weight of the car. There's a complex gear shift map. And when they break... $$$ Go electronic auto, and introduce a shift computer. Much easier. And more reliable. Not as economical.

Seat rails- custom job for you. :)

Headlights- gti, if you can find them, else restore the originals (there's a how-to). No aftermarket anything.

Pics please! 👍🏻

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tigcraft said:

I do think it’s interesting your going to put a DSG unit in the Lupo. I also run a DSG in a caddy 1.6tdi but it has a 1.5-2 second set off  delay which some DSG set ups have which for as much as I like some parts of the DSG that bit is outright DANGEROUS.
There’s been lots of times I’ve had near misses coming out of junctions because the gap has gone by the time it’s thought about moving off and angry drivers waving so in my case I’ve to drive straight into traffic regardless of any gaps and hope I get a slot! 😱 On the other hand there’s also DSGs that respond immediately and go like **** off a shovel! 

Hi Tig  I'm a bit of a funny fish.  I've been involved in the crash repair business  for a long time and having repaired very many repairable motors  over the years and being of an engineering background, I believe once you get your head sorted that these type of projects are 1. going to cost decent money,  and time to do it right and 2. might never be worth what you put into them.  But once you start with that frame of mind you are well on the way.  Because my airbag business takes me in and out of breakers yards a lot of the time, I see opportunities screaming at me everywhere.  The original plan was an engine out of a 1.4 GT Mk IV Golf, which you can squeeze 170 brake out of.    I have to drive automatic having lost the use of one of my arms - not the dominant one - a while back.   Everything else has been done, DSG hasn't until lately - that's what appeals to me.  BTW I have already built a fully automatic air-cooled beetle (1302LS) with VW components - VW never made one. 

Regards the set off delay issue in your caddy, could it be mapped out?  Or is it mechatronics thing within the box? I deal with a guy called Chris (Pinnochio) Hughes of Total Tuning in Pontypridd, Wales who's the best as regards vehicle intelligence.  If his number is any good to you let me know.  I've a Passat 2.0 TDi DSG which is wicked regarding torque on take off.  Once I've tidied up my Mk II van I hope it's even better.  I also have a 2.0 tsfi engine and DSG box stashed ......Lupo?   Na it would be a pig I think.  And while I'm here I've also got an 03 Inca in hiding with a 1.9 Octavia VRS engine tdi and dsg set up lurking around the shed with its eye on the little van but that's an other  cash grabber on hold.

Edited by Roadrash
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mk2 said:

Welcome!

I also like the idea of DSGs, but getting them working just the way "you" want is hard work. Each gearbox controller is tuned for the torque curve of the engine and weight of the car. There's a complex gear shift map. And when they break... $$$ Go electronic auto, and introduce a shift computer. Much easier. And more reliable. Not as economical.

Seat rails- custom job for you. :)

Headlights- gti, if you can find them, else restore the originals (there's a how-to). No aftermarket anything.

Pics please! 👍🏻

Hey mk,2 seat rails  no problem will be a walk in the park. head lamps? i'll keep my eyes peeled, will check out japan, lupies are big  news there. dsg? nobody ever said it was going to be easy but the trick is not letting the  donor cars intelligence know its entire family has moved house.

• Like 1

@Roadrash my background is accident repair too, I restore Classics these days and modify things, paint classic bikes too and like making prototype things.  I’m self taught and do things the ‘African’ way ie zero or little cost.  I see a shape, turn it into an opportunity and form a professional product from it. I like things modified BUT discreet to the extent it looks factory OEM made. Back in the eighties I was going to build a two door VW Jetta or even a two door Ford Orion. It’s that sort of thing…

Im currently building a BMW R nineT ‘Tourer ‘ motorcycle and it’s well thought through. 

36 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Auto air cooled beetle. Now that's very different. I'd very much like to inspect that! Neat. What box...?

mk.2 vw  build a semi auto  air-cooled bug but you still needed both hands to change gear. the type 3 fast/notch/square back did come in fully auto.  but i used a t25 1.9 petrol water-boxer box with heavily modified casings, have since sold the car to a good friend who  has putted it apart for now.

11 hours ago, Roadrash said:

Hi Tig  I'm a bit of a funny fish.  I've been involved in the crash repair business  for a long time and having repaired very many repairable motors  over the years and being of an engineering background, I believe once you get your head sorted that these type of projects are 1. going to cost decent money,  and time to do it right and 2. might never be worth what you put into them.  But once you start with that frame of mind you are well on the way.  Because my airbag business takes me in and out of breakers yards a lot of the time, I see opportunities screaming at me everywhere.  The original plan was an engine out of a 1.4 GT Mk IV Golf, which you can squeeze 170 brake out of.    I have to drive automatic having lost the use of one of my arms - not the dominant one - a while back.   Everything else has been done, DSG hasn't until lately - that's what appeals to me.  BTW I have already built a fully automatic air-cooled beetle (1302LS) with VW components - VW never made one. 

Regards the set off delay issue in your caddy, could it be mapped out?  Or is it mechatronics thing within the box? I deal with a guy called Chris (Pinnochio) Hughes of Total Tuning in Pontypridd, Wales who's the best as regards vehicle intelligence.  If his number is any good to you let me know.  I've a Passat 2.0 TDi DSG which is wicked regarding torque on take off.  Once I've tidied up my Mk II van I hope it's even better.  I also have a 2.0 tsfi engine and DSG box stashed ......Lupo?   Na it would be a pig I think.  And while I'm here I've also got an 03 Inca in hiding with a 1.9 Octavia VRS engine tdi and dsg set up lurking around the shed with its eye on the little van but that's an other  cash grabber on hold.

If you're going down the twin-charger route, get one from a Mk5 golf, not a Mk6. The Mk5 version has stronger pistons and block, the Mk6 version tends to break the top of the piston off due to the stresses of always being on boost and VW cheapness. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  Lupo gti boy how is it going?  And sorry for my late reply

Work keeps me flat out. The engine change is not  really that massive a thing for me. Back in the day I was big into the air cooled scene  and for me power then was no big deal as I saw the beetle and all air cooled models as being cool.  Customising them tastefully was more for me and gave me more of a kick - and I see the Lupo as another iconic VW that will go down in history.  In very much the same way its a super cool little car. Back in the day I rode and raced bikes, plus with age came sense and these days I have plenty of poke about me.  The engine I had in mind was that from a 2017 A3 code cxs and it was more because it was simply available to me in a buddy's breaker's yard - along with the loom, ECU, DSG box and everything else I could need - which I will buy for well below its true value. I will do plenty of homework.  That's not for the Lupo I'm working on at the moment.

Shortly I will upload pictures of the the  mods I'm doing on a different car but the  current Lupo project.  its a bank holiday week end here in paddyland and i hope you guys get to enjoy yours.