Lupo window problem

hi all. got a 01 Lupo SDI. Heard its a common issue but unsure if its motor, switch or wiring that would likely be the issue. Of course, i could take the doorcard off and have a nosey but hoped someone could help diagnose this in case its specific.

Passenger side electric window comes down whenever it wants, sometimes just a little, other times fully goes down. When i press the switch on the drivers side to put the passenger side back up, it usually comes right back down again. however, leaning over and using the switch on the passenger side seems to keep it shut (certainly for longer) This happens sporadically.

I will point out that currently I have one wind deflector fitted and thats the drivers side where I have no issues, no deflector on the passenger side (Need to replace it) 

TIA.

Edited by Stephenmacleod

17 minutes ago, LR5V said:

window going up and straight back down suggests it hitting something before it gets to the top

- Do you have clips holding the wind deflector in the window rubber? the glass may be hitting that. 

Would that still happen sporadically though? I can be driving along with the window closed and it randomly opens. I then try to close it from the drivers switch and it just constantly goes down again but sometimes it stays shut if I use the passenger side switch. 

Different. That'd be the switch... common problem. @skezza has written loads on the subject and how to fix it. Something to do with water/dirt ingress affecting the contacts.

44 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Different. That'd be the switch... common problem. @skezza has written loads on the subject and how to fix it. Something to do with water/dirt ingress affecting the contacts.

is it just a case of buying switches and replacing them then? 

seen you can buy a pair of switches on ebay for around 8-9 quid, but my drivers side has dual window switches for NS and OS windows so unsure if a single switch would fit?

Single switch wont work on drivers side - different connector

If it happens often try diagnosing the problem by disconnecting the switches: drivers side first, if the window still rolls down disconnect the passenger one too. then add the drivers side back in on its own - if it still does it without switches its something else.

Switches are the first thing to go in scrap yard Polo/Lupo's  and good used items seem to be premium price on ebay.

39 minutes ago, LR5V said:

Single switch wont work on drivers side - different connector

If it happens often try diagnosing the problem by disconnecting the switches: drivers side first, if the window still rolls down disconnect the passenger one too. then add the drivers side back in on its own - if it still does it without switches its something else.

Switches are the first thing to go in scrap yard Polo/Lupo's  and good used items seem to be premium price on ebay.

See it's annoying because it's so spontaneous.  I drove to work this morning and it didnt happen once. But I drove 30miles yesterday and it happened about 15 times.

Putting it up with the passenger side switch seems to stay up more often, but using the drivers switch it goes back down 99 times out of 100. 

Looks like I'll head back to the scrapyard next weekend for switches. Should have nabbed them while I was there. Any visual inspections I should make when getting used switches? Dont want to buy duff ones. Unless I just buy a new switch for the passenger side and see if that solves it, and just not use the drivers side switch for the other window because the drivers window is fine.

Edited by Stephenmacleod