AmD ECU Remap Results

Delvard

I know you've been waiting for the results so I'll begin by posting the dyno results Starting with the HP result:

Before 126.0 After 134.1

Savelupo1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The Torque results:

Before 110.6 After 117.5

Save0002.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Here's a pic of her on the rollers: DSCN0548.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />DSCN0552.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I booked in a hotel the night before and arrived at AmD promptly at 9am. I was greeted at reception by Ed Jackson young guy who is as passionate about cars as we are. A real petrolhead. Let me tell you this guy is a star. Really. Could offer lessons in customer care. No matter how many questions you ask him, he answers with real enthusiasm and genuinely wants to help. After dropping of the car he orgainised a lift to take me back to the hotel (in an AmD tuned Golf gti)and also asked me what time I'd like to be picked up... cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

The car arrived promptly at 1pm. When I got back to AMD I was met by the tuning engineer (forgot his name!) who was another star. I'd left a camera with them to take the pics you see here. He wanted to check that the pictures were OK and did I want anymore! I had a chuckle at that one thanked him and sat down.... for another 3 hours blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> They've got a very nice reception there and you can drink as many free drinks from the machine as you like. There's also a nice widescreen tv with PS2 attached if the fancy takes you.

Still when your pondering what awaits you...time drags.

She was ready! Ed drove the car round for me and gave me the keys. showed me the results you see above. I was so pleased. Don't forget I've not made any other mod to this car and don't intend to, so realistically expected about 6hp and about the same torque....

The drive? Oh yeah cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> You can tell as soon as you set off. Really. So smooth, feels like a bigger engine. And oh, BABY does it gag for revs. It just so wants it, climbs and climbs. Flat spots pretty much gone bye bye. As you can see from the graphs except low down (where it's such an improvement) the shape has pretty much maintained itself. It's just got better.

Imagine this represents the before sound of the revs:-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r.....

Weeell, now it's like this:R!R!R!R!R!R!R!R!R!R!R!!!!SHAGMESHAGME!!!

Conclusion?

Brilliant, really happy, couldn't have asked for more. Go and get it done my son. You won't be dissapointed.....

Andy.

This is what i wanted to hear, good results there for a standard car and good to hear that it revs free-er, as standard it's not an entirely rev happy engine. Looks like i'll be off to amd at the end of the year when insurance renewal is up! thumbup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbup:" border="0" alt="thumbup.gif" />

Pretty good result from the ECU wasn't it.

Intresting how no one can manage to get that little dip out at 3krpm on the touque graph isn't it?

I wonder why that is?

Good power increase all the way through the rev range isn't it.

Just shows you how much VW have held back with this engine doesn't it.

Without a doubt.

Unlike a chip, there mapping for your engine.

Im sure a BMC and Zaust would give a massive improvment.

Delvard did they say if you can return at a more livable rate after engine mods?

No. You can get a piggy back ECU remapped, but not a Stock VW ECU remapped.

This way its OE enough for the Boss man to do smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I thought that was the case, but I would have thought AMD would have removed it?

unless this is one of the things, the stock ecu wont allow much ajustment.

It looks as though they have raised everything, but looks almost identical.

So maybe, they can ol raise it, not ajust out the flat spots as you'd think would happen?

Great review delvard, thanks for bringing it too us. Upon your recommendation I'm definately going to get this done. I notice your cars a 54 plate, and so still well within warranty, how will this effect it, if at all. And would anything be flagged up at service time?

Pretty good results there for a std Loop!!!

Would wanna see what a loop with a zorst and different air filter runs with this remap though

Sounds like a great place aswell!

T

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

And would anything be flagged up at service time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My dealership has never had a Lupo GTi in for a service.

They wouldn't know what it was supposed to be like.

And VW told me after the fire, then only way they could tell if a ecu had been chipped/remapped

Would be to send it to Germany to the factory.

Excellent review mate. Definately something worth considering if I don't get an engine transplant done! Can you give us an idea of the cost of this little adventure?

Thanks for the link Tigz smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Looks like about £50 a horse then, i'd really like to see what it does to a loop that has a BMC and stainless system on it, I reckon 150bhp+ is quite possible for a total investment of what, a grand? And that is going to feel very quick indeed, and sound the absolute **** biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Little more feedback after driving it around this morning....

You see on the torque graph how AmD made a good attempt at smoothing it out from 0 to about 2700 revs? That is such an improvement. Its sublime and a joy how smooth things are now when you set off. None of that feathering, being gentle with the accelerator to stop it bucking/learching. It doesn't matter anymore. It's just so easy and well..pleasent. You get what I mean?

Also from the conversations we had that day I'm pretty sure that within reason AmD can do whatever you want with the curve. But it's always going to be at a cost. What I mean is if you ask them to dump some of that tuning lower down the rev range, accentuate it more, they can do it. BUT it will cost you lower/higher in the rev range. To a point that a crossover will occur and it will actually dip BELOW the original VW settings. You really would have to be very precise and thoughful in describing to AmD what you want. I've no doubt that good gains would be made with the addition of an aftermarket manifold and induction BUT those gains/changes I think would be high up. I maybe would be a little concerned about the result lower down the rev range.

Just shows you how much VW have held back with this engine doesn't it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If honda can get 100bhp per litre (vti - 1.6 = 160 bhp)...............

If honda can get 100bhp per litre (vti - 1.6 = 160 bhp)...............

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honda got 240bhp out of the 2 litre S2000 engine, naturally aspirated, but they did have to make it rev to 9000rpm, but it had feck all torque. You could easily be beaten by slower cars if caught out of gear and off cam.

So that's 120bhp per litre, 1.6 should be able to pull 190bhp in theory, but I doubt it would be possible.