Replacement turbo options?

FlipFlops

I'm basically after some options on replacement turbo's for my lupo tdi. As far as I'm aware the turbo on the car has done 230k now and I've recently noticed the car has got slower and is not boosting as much as it did. The fuel economy has also gone down a little.

I've had a look at the turbo and it's covered in oil and looks like it's got a leak? I'm going to replace it but I'm wondering if there's any alternatives to the standard ones thats fitted? Does the Seat Arosa use the same turbo or a bigger turbo that produces more bhp, would this bolt straight on too?

I have a picture that I will try and upload, it shows the turbo on the car and what a mess it looks.

Do the boost tests in vcds: https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/vcds-and-pd-tdi-engine-health-check

Like for like unless you want to remap it. Or get a rebuild kit or a ready to go core. I cant remember what it is off the top of my head garrett 1544 i think, but quite capable of delivering a lot more power.

Take the pipe off and test the shaft for play and end float with your fingers too before lashing out on parts. Your power drop might be the n75, vacuum leaks, boost leaks etc.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

Guys cheers for the info. So it might be the N75 valve then and not the turbo? Not that they have a lot but it's deffo down on power.

If it was the turbo that was buggered i was wondering if there are any 'bolt on' upgraded turbos that can be fitted without modding? I've spoken to a couple of companies and they will supply a fully recon OEM Garrett turbo for £200 (exchange basis) so i'm not too worried about rebuilding this one if it is gone.

I will take the one off that's on now on Saturday and have a look if there's any play. It's dripping oil out of the turbo and its covered in the stuff so i just took it as being knackered? I will look at buying a new N75 too. The car has done a few miles now. It's on 230k. Up until the slight power loss it ran fine, it still does run fine but it's just down a bit on power.

My plan when i bought the car was to make it into a little sleeper but i do a lot of miles in it so decided to leave it standard but seeing as the turbo might have gone i wouldn't mind upgrading it?

Also, since the loss in power the mpg has dropped. Where i could get 60/65mpg on a run i can just about manage 50mpg, its around 45/50mpg. 

turbo.jpg

Edited by FlipFlops

Any smoke from the exhaust? I assume not as you havent mentioned it. Fault codes should be being logged I would think.

The oil leak could be as simple as a blocked or kinked oil drain, but that is best case really. Otherwise crankcase pressure, blocked breather if the shaft and bearings seem ok.

The vnt turbo off the later 90bhp a2 will go straight on but you'd probably need the matching n75 and map. Otherwise you'll be looking at a gt1749v with exhaust downpipe and a remap to make use of it.

If the 1544 is in good condition it is good for plenty enough power for most though so unless you want more than around 130 - 140 bhp + there's no great need to change it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sausage said:

Any smoke from the exhaust? I assume not as you havent mentioned it. Fault codes should be being logged I would think.

The oil leak could be as simple as a blocked or kinked oil drain, but that is best case really. Otherwise crankcase pressure, blocked breather if the shaft and bearings seem ok.

The vnt turbo off the later 90bhp a2 will go straight on but you'd probably need the matching n75 and map. Otherwise you'll be looking at a gt1749v with exhaust downpipe and a remap to make use of it.

If the 1544 is in good condition it is good for plenty enough power for most though so unless you want more than around 130 - 140 bhp + there's no great need to change it.

No no smoke at all? I will take it off on Saturday and see if there's any problems with any of the piping, i'll be able to have a better look at the turbo too. I've done some googling on the vnt turbo's and i think getting one to work properly is going to take a bit longer than the time i have sadly :(. Once i get the turbo issue sorted out i will get it mapped. I will look into the N75 valve. Shame i don't know anyone local to me who could scan it.

I'd be happy with 100bhp if i could, something that gives a bit more power.

A bottle neck on these things has got to be the Cat? It looks tiny! I'm going to chop that out and fit a straight pipe in, does that liven them up? I've removed my rear box, i might take out the centre box too.

10 hours ago, Sausage said:

Check to see if the air filter is very dirty too, as a new air filter might help too if it hasnt been changed recently.

The air filter had not long been changed but i will check this too.

10 hours ago, rrdoctoruk said:

the oil you are seeingis from the crankcase breather just up from where you are looking,mine does it aswell,

dont worry about it

When I had my 1.4 Golf I was forever having to take of the crankcase breather and clean it/remove mayo :ph34r: Please don't tell me this is is now going to be a necessary on my SDI too -_-

Yeah you really do need vcds lite registered version for this sort of thing.

Decat is the way to go yes. You can diy remap using a generic file for about £60 (mpps lead and file) to get 100 bhp quite easily on these.

3 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

When I had my 1.4 Golf I was forever having to take of the crankcase breather and clean it/remove mayo :ph34r: Please don't tell me this is is now going to be a necessary on my SDI too -_-

Head gasket on the golf most likely, so unlikely on the sdi.

3 hours ago, Sausage said:

Yeah you really do need vcds lite registered version for this sort of thing.

Decat is the way to go yes. You can diy remap using a generic file for about £60 (mpps lead and file) to get 100 bhp quite easily on these.

Head gasket on the golf most likely, so unlikely on the sdi.

Just a poor VW design rather than the head gasket chap, pretty much all of the Mk4 1.4 lumps do it... Mine went on for three years without any issues (Other than having to clean it) and without any coolant loss or oil/coolant mixing.

I will take the turbo off this weekend and look at all the connecting pipes too. Maybe something has got blocked or is getting blocked? I'll have a look and getting a new N75 valve but i'll see if i can get the car scanned first. Recon turbo's are pretty cheap to buy so it's not the end of the world if it is shagged. I just need to know, the lack of power and the drop in mpg is doing my head in lol

I will get the cat cut out, i can't see it doing much anyway its a tiny thing.

I'll get some pictures along the way too.

• 2 weeks later...

The GT1548 looks like a very good match for a remapped tdi for extra headroom as they are waste gate turbos so no need to mess about getting the vnt to work, but these are expensive and hard to find. Power band will shift up the rev range a bit.

I'm looking at GT1549 too but there is not much info on them apart from a bit on the rover forums so I'm not sure how they compare to the 1548 map:

http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21

These can be had very cheap and may bolt straight into the TDI turbo housing, or maybe the lupo manifold. Actuator orientation may be an issue. I'll get one if one turns up cheap enough (spare or repairs etc) and see.

Otherwise it's the vnt route which will give better low end response but at quite a bit of faffing about. The KKK KP39a seems well matched or the gt1749v.

There might be a hybrid turbo on mine, I need to get it off and see what it is exactly.

I have a GT1549 off a rover 200 winging its way to me now, the MG ZR and a few others have a different turbo waste gate housing so i went for the one that has the similar bolt off exhaust part like the GT1544 has, hopefully the bolt pitch is the same and the lupo exhaust will go straight on.

Also have a KP39a and a GT1749v too, but think i'll play with the GT1549 1st before royally ****ing up my car.  PD150 injectors to bung in too. :lol:

On 6/6/2016 at 11:44 AM, FlipFlops said:

I'd be happy with 100bhp if i could, something that gives a bit more power.

A bottle neck on these things has got to be the Cat? It looks tiny! I'm going to chop that out and fit a straight pipe in, does that liven them up? I've removed my rear box, i might take out the centre box too.

Taking out the cat will make it spool up a lot quicket.

100bhp is easy to get with a remap and standard turbo.

Close, but no cigar.

Not as plug and play as I was hoping for...

DSCN4765.jpg

DSCN4764.jpg

DSCN4763.jpg

Turbo body needs clocking about 45 degrees, compressor cover / snail needs clocking about 80 degrees.

Actuator needs a bracket and a rod made up.

Edited by Sausage

My spare no gas welder decided to have a hissy fit so not very pretty ....:lol: quick and dirty was the order of the day just a look see, can be cleaned up and painted if used. 2 bits of angle and actuator lengthened.

DSCN4767.jpg

Turbo body clocked, needs oil union from the gt1544 or buy another one.

DSCN4770.jpg

DSCN4771.jpg

Needs 2 longer studs on the manifold triangle joint and the oil union to complete. This will probably go on my lupo soon and i'll post how it goes.