windscreen wipers with a mind of their own

weslangdon

My son has borrowed my newly MOT'd Arosa TDi and left me with his Lupo 1.4 SE for a couple of days. The car is like a pig sty, but more seriously its wipers are going berzerk, they come on when I use the direction indicators, they come on when I start the car, they won't switch off, unless they feel like it. Moving them up or down might change the speed but it doesn't switch them off. It sounds like the washer pump is on too. Anyone come across this before, should I start by removing the steering wheel? 

A qick search says the stalk is the most likley however there is a relay to consider as well, first step is to pull the realy and see if it stops, then check the control side of the relay where it plugs in with a multimeter to see if the relay is being triggered by the stalk if it is then test the stalk.

There is a guide on here to replacing the stalk

If not triggered by the stalk test the relay is not shorted

If it keeps going with the relay removed you have a wiring short somwhere

visually the stork looks fine, I've stripped off the shrouding and done likewise on another spare car and their moving bits seem identical, so I'll seek out the relay first

I found this thread on the same issue

Edited by weslangdon

I had this issue on my Golf and in the end it turned out to be the relay... Given this is Lupo world then that may or may not be helpful!

To muddy the waters further my (Lupo) indicators wouldn't stop making the 'clicking' sound despite not being in use, that did turn out to be the stalk :rolleyes:

• Like 1