1.4 (BBY) misfire

2002 Lupo 1.4 16v (BBY)

hi

ive a misfire on my girlfriends Lupo that I cannot get to the bottom of.

it starts fine, and idles fire but one warm when driving when it's not under load it's misfires/hunts quite badly on partial throttle.

its had a full service, throttle body cleaned and reset on VCDS, new coil packs and sparkplugs and all vacumn pipes checked.
also replaced a leaking section of exhaust.

A scan showed up 17961 Barometric/Manifold Pressure Signals
P1553 - 35-10 - implausible Correlation - intermittent

This was cleared and hasn't returned, yet the misfire is quickly getting worse.

Done a compression test this morning, and got an almost identical 250 PSI off 3    cylinders, after repeating the test many times; but the cylinder next to the cambelt only managed 225 PSI after testing time and time again.

any suggestions what I can check? (I've got VCDS)

Is it burning oil? My guess is piston rings on cylinder 1. When cold it's not so noticeable, but once up to temperature and the metal expands it becomes more evident, so you start losing compression and there's your misfire. It's not uncommon on the 1.4 16v. How many miles has it done?

Take the plugs out after a run and compare.

is the water pressurising as it could be head gasket? other things it could be are valve seats, inlet manifold leak.

And just as a precaution you might want to check the cambelt tension as the tensioners seem to be made of chocolate.

You don't mention the leads as being replaced, did you replace them. ? Sounds like ignitionj,

If it's getting worse then something is obviously failing. One other thing is check the leads are correctly routed it might be crosstalk.

If you have VCDS you can check the lamda sensor output, mixture might be weak on part throttle but not enough to throw a code.

It's got seperate coil packs rather than plug leads.

i'll use VCDS and check the Lambda sensors, MAF and also cambelt tension.

a can of brake cleaner sprayed around the inlet manifold may show up a leak if the revs change.