TDI: Occasional Hot Starting Problems

As the title says.

My tdi starts perfectly when cold but when hot it will occasionally really struggle.

It will take 10-20 sec of cranking before it fires up. 90% of the time it's fine tho and this problem seems really random.

No fault codes are showing.

Any ideas folks?

Edited by wehey

44 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Does the glow plug light up, when not starting? It could be relay 109. They're affected by heat, well the older ones are.

Hiya... Yes the glow plug light always comes on whether the engine is hot or cold. 

I have seen the 109 relay pop up in various discussions before although I can't say I have a clue what it does lol  

I will do some more googling and find out more. 

Ta ?

Double check that it does. I'm not exactly sure what Relay 109 does, because it's referred to as so many things: Glow Plug Relay, Fuel Pump Relay, Main Power Supply, ECU Relay....

All you need to know is that if it's failed, your car will not start, no matter how much you crank it. However, the issue with relay 109 is that it's failure is caused by heat stressing the internals. The original design was very poor, resulting in poor solder joints failing over time due to heat. Heat stresses the solder, causes it to crack and then the car doesn't start. The problem is, as I said, heat is the catalyst, so in the cold, your car may well start fine, so you think nothings wrong. You'll pull up on a motorway services and then it won't start.

I had this issue for 12 months. Car starting fine in the morning, then pulling in the shops and it not starting (occasionally), wait 10 minutes and it starts again. One day, I pulled into a petrol station, and it wouldn't start at all. After an hour waiting, cranking with no luck, I angrily bashed the fuse box and there was a flicker of the glow plug light. The car started and I made it home.

The new Relay's don't suffer this issue. Just make sure yours is the newer relay, otherwise a few years down the line you'll have this problem again.

Oh and it doesn't leave a fault code.

100% certain that the light does come on. 

i had to stop for a few mins today and I made a mental note to check for the light before starting. The light came on and the car struggled to start. 

It's very random and doesn't happen every time??

is the relay specific to the Lupo/Arosa or will any VW 109 relay fit? Going to look online for one.

EDIT: just found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252266235103

Edited by wehey

I had a similar issue with my Arosa. I would be driving along and the car would lose all power (not ideal when you are doing 90 in the outside lane ), I would pull over and wait about 5 mins and then it would start again. If I tried starting it straight away the car would make an horrendous judder and allsorts of lights would come up. This started off as an intermittent problem which ended up happening every other day. 

I got the lads at the garage to plug it into the diagnostics machine and it came back with no codes :huh: So I turned to my best pal Google. After finding people with exactly the same issue I would read the thread and they didn't have answer :angry:. The lads at the garage said it was most likely my fuel pump but I'm a cheap skate and had read somewhere about 109 relay (fuel relay). Got myself one ordered from eBay (about £9 delivered) and fitted it. Absolutely no issues since. 

I took apart the old relay and at first glance it looked fine but after a closer inspection it was slightly corroded inside. It's definitely worth a try to see whether it will fix your problem. 

Thanks Rach that really helped.

yesterday I had a similar thing happen for the first time, but at slower speed.

i was following a learner at about 10-15mph in 2nd gear. They indicated to pull over to the kerb and so I put my foot down to drive round them. All of a sudden the engine just died, for about 1-2 seconds, then came back to life and has been fine since.

i will order up a 109 relay as its relatively cheap especially if it works ?

The pattern parts are easily as good as the OEM ones btw, just make sure it's the newer revision which has a far better design.

So I ordered the relay and am waiting for it to arrive.

i was out driving today and had covered about 7miles. Was travelling at about 25mph when the engine completely cut out.

i pulled over, waited about 30 secs then tried to restart. The glow plug light DID come on and after a bit of cranking it fired up and I made it home.

so I think that the problems I have been having are related. Something has been breaking down slowly over the last few months, starting out with hot starting problems and now progressing to cutting out whilst driving.

i am really hoping that it's this relay.....

So....time for an update. 

Fitted the relay and drove 3-4 miles to warm it up. Parked up and waited 5 mins. Tried to start the engine and exactly the same problem. 10-20 secs of cranking to get it to start !!!!

So what next guys and gals. If it were a petrol I would know exactly what to do, but modern diesels baffle me lol

Any ideas on what to check next?

Edited by wehey

Your conking out says electrics like the relay or maybe ecu, your non starting hot says cranking speed too low.

Vagcom might be able to measure live data for cranking speed. No fuel is injected below a certain rpm i think and the maps for fuel are different for hot and cold.

What is your battery voltage ignition on, engine off? Was that relay a snug fit in the socket?

19 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Your conking out says electrics like the relay or maybe ecu, your non starting hot says cranking speed too low.

Vagcom might be able to measure live data for cranking speed. No fuel is injected below a certain rpm i think and the maps for fuel are different for hot and cold.

What is your battery voltage ignition on, engine off? Was that relay a snug fit in the socket?

I agree that it seems to be electrical as when it conks out it literally dies instantly, no spluttering or stuttering.

Reading elsewhere online for similar symptoms the crank sensor pops up regularly?

Battery voltage with ignition off is 12.63v and with ignition on its 12.22v

The relay seemed like a good fit but was hard to really tell as access was limited.

do you think the problems are related?

Edited by wehey

It's just so random.

On Saturday I drove 80 miles without it missing a beat, then on Sunday it conked out after 6 miles.

i can handle the starting problem, but the conking out is frightening as you instantly lose breaking and power steering ?

Edited by wehey

Well at least you started with the cheapest possible solution.

The engine cutting out and the hot starting may or may not be related but probably are. You need that vagcom lead asap though.

OK quick search finds this:

That was fuse box connections , other likely options are crank position sensor flaky.