Rear brake pads wearing faster than front

Roughly 5K miles ago...

The rear brakes and discs was needed for replacement.

So I had got the new pads and discs, but noticed the passenger side calliper was knackered (Dust cover came off and piston rusted)

Replaced both callipers (Second hand) and replaced passenger brake line as it had snapped, then bled the brakes.

Had a look today and the pads are almost ready for replacing again!:wtf:

What can cause the rear pads to wear a lot faster than the front? Is there a brake bias somewhere?

(I also need to adjust my handbrake as it is needed to be raised to the sky to stop the car rolling <_<, but cant see this wearing the pads out as some people ask to see if the handbrake is on slightly causing it to drag the rear pads, wearing them out faster?)

Cheers

James

Need replacing after 5k miles? Christ, that's dreadful. I assume you're using decent pads, not these Eicher cheapo's from EuroCarParts? Front brakes should definitely wear faster, it's a FWD car after all.

I'd definitely check the callipers at the back, isn't there a valve to relieve pressure, but if it builds up then more pressure ends up being forced. Have they worn evenly?

Also it might be worth checking your handbrake.The red light should come on if it's on, but it's possible that the light isn't coming on yet your parking brake is still binding.

That's off the top of my head. Would need to get it up in the air I think....

Simple test, can you push the car easlily with one hand on a flat surface? if you can nothings binding too badly.

If the compensation valve in the rear axle's not working (Its designed to reduce the brake pressure if the axle gets unloaded ) that may be your problem, it will show itself as slow retraction of the pistons when you release the pedal

Given the brake parts are used did you check their condition before you fitted them ?

If the back wheels are warm after a run they are binding a bit, at junctions or when stopping you can tell if it's binding by how it rolls to a slow stop and of it rolls a bit on it's own when released again.

It could be cheap pads with a sh1tty wear rate. 

If the brake compensation valve isnt working the rear will tend to lock up on weight transfer of hard braking.

I used VW discs and pagid brake pads.

The second hand callipers I cleaned them up and they seemed fine.

Handbrake can't be stuck on as I can roll the car easily without the handbrake on.

The passenger rear side is more worn than the drivers side.

Is this the compensation valve your talking about?

6x0612151_zpssi0qpmgy.jpg

Yes that looks similar the angle of the lever controls the brake pressure reaching the rear brakes.

If it's sticking then the rear brakes will be slow releasing which may have caused your wear issues

Testing needs 2 people, 1 to apply bakes other to push car, if its slow releasing you won't be able to push the car immediately the brake pedal is released.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a crack at the car today...

Been informed Lupo sports don't have compensation valves due to it having ABS.

The passenger brake pads was very close to the end where as the drivers was fairly reasonable, but still fading quicker than it should.

Passenger calliper was knackered, the boot dusk gave way in which seized the piston solid :o 

The drivers side pad wore faster due to the handbrake cable sticking, it wouldn't retract back when the handbrake released...

So new passenger side calliper and both cables greased and working as they should (I will replace the handbrake cables soon)

Just need to bleed the brakes and all should be goof for brakes :P