VW radio, will i need a code if i disconnect battery

Sausage

Got a 1.0 with VW radio and CD changer in the boot, will i need a code if i disconnect battery? It all works fine at the moment and dont want to kill it if i dont really need to.

Hint: i dont have a code written down anywhere or that came with the car.

I have disconnected the battery and left the battery charger on it on trickle to keep code so far, but now i need the charger for my TDI LOL.

If it's the original unit you won't. If it's been swapped you will.

Only if it hasn't been unlocked and most of the second hand ones have.... so.

So now you're saying suck it and see? LOL

I'll keep a low amps 12v source on it then just in case.

Well my views are that it's unlikely to have been changed. The many who replace OEM with better aftermarket, massively outweigh the very few, who replace aftermarket with OEM. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a hefty portion (like myself) who end up replacing aftermarket, with aftermarket.

My old Lupo had a OEM head unit, and I unplugged it dozens of times before it eventually came out for good. When I switched it back on, it would come up with CODE on the screen. Start the car, turn the radio off, give it a minute, turn it back on, and it'd come back like normal.

Also, just something worth pointing out here. You'll keep a 12v on your radio, but you won't be keeping a 12v on the ECU, and considering the two are paired, it's entirely possible that it'll still switch to CODE.