Coolant lid stuck

I bought my Lupo last week and tried to take the coolant reservoir lid off and it's on so tight I can't undo it. I've always made sure the car is cold when I try to take the lid off, I've also tried to use a screwdriver to help as I have an indent in the handle bit, but all attempts have failed. The coolant is starting to touch the minimum line so I'll need it off fairly soon. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or ideas as to how to get it off? I do have a spare lid in case it's needed.

Get a spanner that fits over the square part of the lid. Probably about 17mm or something.

If you still can't get it off, try getting the car warm first to make the plastic a bit more malleable - you'll stand a better chance. Just don't release it rapidly and shower yourself in 90 degree coolant.

• 2 weeks later...

i had the same problem when i brought my car and i had the temp sensor coming up as it was below minimum slightly i tried it both when it was cold and hot and even warm, tried the screwdriver trick and nothing would get mine off, i ended up splitting the cap and it still wouldn't come off just had massive cracks around the notch in the cap, i gave up in the end and i brought a new tank and cap from TPS and replaced it and the coolant, i think all in it was around 50-60 quid.

I usually just whack one end of the cap with the butt of a screw driver, that unloosens it.

I wouldn't bother using anything other than your hand to tighten it back up, as it's only supposed to be tightened by hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was stuck. Just put a screw driver down the centre. I held it down and my friend just hit the handle with a hammer / mallet / blunt object and it eventually came open