Almost stock shopping trolley

Fentuz

Hi all,

I have a 1.4 (75) lupo... Note that the lupo was the car i wanted when i was student in the 90's...

In the last few weeks, i got so bored with the excessive rolling, i decided to get fixed: the car has to hold its line in a corner at speed limit rather than being unstable and like a cargo ferry...

I went for the Lotus spirit: stiffer chassis, lightish, stock power.

The shopping list was simple:

Eibach springs (they don't give a non genuine look to the car)

Bilstein before (had them on the car for a year)

Whiteline ARB (I immediately set it on the stiffest setting)

Brakes.

Result is pretty good; I took the car on my test drive run and although the lupo is on snow tyres, it felt almost as good in corner as my toy car.

The added stiffness means the car can be driven in corner smoothly without heavy breaking, i can keep the momentum going. I cannot feel any issue with oversteer in the wett (well melting snow).

i believe that if i drive sensibly, i'll get better mpgs...

I can't see the point to go for polyflex bushes; the OEM will be more suitable for road going cars.

I have them on the race car and i wouldn't have them if the car was mainly road going.

Then i don't know much about VAGs.

I can't see the point to go for polyflex bushes; the OEM will be more suitable for road going cars.

I have them on the race car and i wouldn't have them if the car was mainly road going.

Then i don't know much about VAGs.

100%.

Bushes do what bushes do for a reason.

Stop wasting your time/money on a 1.4 and just get a gti already, keep the Lotus and bin off the golf.

• 3 weeks later...

After 3 weeks, things settled. The car had become a little less stiff and i found the car was still a little understeery for my liking.

Earlier this week, i decided to transfer some of the rear damping from the tyres to the actual suspension by increasing the pressure.

With 28.5psi front and 30.5psi and the rear (continental 13" snow tyres), the car is now more neutral.

Cheap easy fix ;)