VW LUPO, Doesn't like selecting Reverse After new gearbox!

Ralphch97

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had the knowledge to help me.

I had my gearbox reconditioned as it started making a whining noise & was most likely soon to go.

After I got it reconditioned I drove it for 1500 miles and my gearbox went completely, A garage has just put another gearbox in and everything is fine, runs through all the gears fine, But when i try and put it in reverse it is extremely hard to get in, It feels like its hitting a wall, I have to push it towards second and then push it up, And when I take it out it is very stiff and is very hard to get out & end up in 2nd gear once its out instead of neutral.

When its in reverse it drives fine! Its just getting it in and out!

Sorry if its not the best explanation, help would be appreciated.

Regards - Ralph

Edited by Ralphch97

I had a 'feel' what the gearstick was like today when selecting reverse, as this thread had me wondering how accurate the setup is in my car.

There is a relatively small amount of movement when pushing the stick over to the left from neutral. Then when it engages, there is no 'proper' positive clunk or notch that tells you it's 'in'. Has anyone else noticed this? Or when it's in reverse is it really obvious? Not on mine. (New bushes and seals just fitted on mine, with no slop).

Just needed adjustment! All sorted now! And yes when mine is in reverse its not very obvious!

I asked the garage how my last gearbox went, and they said that something about a plastic bearing melting which caused 5th to go or something, but the gearbox had plenty of oil in so still trying to work out how!

Cheers for the help everyone! ?