Question: 'SDP vs' SDP + Commute'

nfbr

One of my friends has been looking through a lot of companies recently and has noticed with a lot of the companies, the price of the policy is coming back cheaper if you chose 'Social/Domestic/Pleasure/Commuting' than if you were to choose 'Social/Domestic/Pleasure only'.

Is this correct as I'm due to renew my insurance in around 1.5 months time and I no longer use my car for driving to work.

Just wondered if there was any point in changing my policy from SDP&C to SDP only.

Any 'informed' answers will be gratefully received.

I changed mine to without the commuting, never going to need it with having a company car.

Basically it removes the risk of 9-5 crashes in whats considered peak times of road traffic.

I didn't notice that much difference in the cost on the passat, i took business use off, and went down to SDP, but i also took my partner off the insurance for it, so that probably lowered it too.

Lupo's never not had business use on it, as i use it for work. I'm sure there's a difference between SDP&C and actual business use.

I changed mine to without the commuting, never going to need it with having a company car.

Basically it removes the risk of 9-5 crashes in whats considered peak times of road traffic.

So how come some people are finding their policies going up when they remove the commuting? and going down when they say they commute?

I didn't notice that much difference in the cost on the passat, i took business use off, and went down to SDP, but i also took my partner off the insurance for it, so that probably lowered it too.

Lupo's never not had business use on it, as i use it for work. I'm sure there's a difference between SDP&C and actual business use.

You'd be surprised! My mum's car insurance goes down when she adds my dad to it... Even though my dad doesn't even have a licence...

Technically it should go down, your lessening the risk of being in an accident if your not using the car during the peak dangerous times.

I got some quotes recently and it was cheaper to have the car parked on the road than it was on a driveway. :wacko:

Maybe they're just online cockups.

It is for me as well.

People look at insurance using logic and common sense, but they have no bearing on things, all that matters are statistics.

For someone in your age group, with your risk profile, in your area with your type of car, they have paid out less to people who park their carrs on the street than they have to people who park their cars on their drives, therfore they are a lower risk, and thus are charged accordingley.

It's all to do with statistics.

Due to more people breaking into houses to take car keys, the vehicles are being taken from garages, or driveways (as the thieves know to who the vehicle belongs) insuring your car on the road is usually cheaper.

It may be the same for your problem Al.

If people are having accidents outside of peak times (a lot longer in terms of hours)and are driving 'socially' they may be more likely to have an accident.

Technically it should go down, your lessening the risk of being in an accident if your not using the car during the peak dangerous times.

That's exactly what I thought. I could of sworn people were more likely to have accidents when in traffic?

Maybe they're just online cockups.

You know you're probably not wrong!

It's all to do with statistics.

Due to more people breaking into houses to take car keys, the vehicles are being taken from garages, or driveways (as the thieves know to who the vehicle belongs) insuring your car on the road is usually cheaper.

It may be the same for your problem Al.

If people are having accidents outside of peak times (a lot longer in terms of hours)and are driving 'socially' they may be more likely to have an accident.

Could be right. I may have to spend a good two hours on the phone to my insurer this time trying various different things to knock the price down! :)

I'm sure going from 20,000 miles a year to 6,000 miles a year should help, as will being in an area 2 groups lower in terms of crime rate :) plus I'm over 25 now! :)