sat navs

little rich

alright all, looking to buy a sat nav for when i pass my test (hopefully shouldnt be too long!)

budget of £150 top but would rather spend around the £100 mark,

not after anything special just something to get me from A to B and looking for ease of use, and a built in battery!

if anybody could recommend us any that would be ace,

Thank You,

Rich,

I've got the Panasonic Strada and its quality, but that was about £200 if you're willing to stretch that far, I used it in France and Spain over the summer with no problems at all.

However, if you're looking to spend £100ish, go for the TomTom One, I don't think they work outside the UK but I borrowed my mates on a couple of occasions before I bought my sat-nav and it did the job.

It doesn't matter what your budget is really, with Satnav I'd always choose something from TomTom.

So much easier to use than anything else, very clear instructions, loads of POIs, and I've been sent the wrong way.

As with everything, you've still got to use a bit of common sense though, you cant use it as an excuse for going the wrong way down a one way street!!

I saw a TomTom in the windscreen of a G-reg Honda Concerto yesterday, it looked ridiculous.

As a new driver, I'd be more inclined to learn some road craft and get some maps for route planning. All too often, we see people louse up a journey in some form or another and blame the satnav. We have 200 delivery drivers and we don't endorse the use of satnav.

Learning to read a map is an invaluable skill and you should be able to locate your position and re-route if necessary quickly and easily using one.

Don't be coming the speed limit / speed camera thing either. The numerous signs on the side of the road and the needle on you dash will tell you all you need to know.

Amazon are doing a tomtom pack just now with a years free traffic camera and hold ups pack for £119.99

probably the best satnav company about and at a bloody good price if you ask me but even the best satnav's sometimes get you lost, learning to read a map and all the road signs is an valuable skill!

I saw a TomTom in the windscreen of a G-reg Honda Concerto yesterday, it looked ridiculous.

As a new driver, I'd be more inclined to learn some road craft and get some maps for route planning. All too often, we see people louse up a journey in some form or another and blame the satnav. We have 200 delivery drivers and we don't endorse the use of satnav.

Learning to read a map is an invaluable skill and you should be able to locate your position and re-route if necessary quickly and easily using one.

Don't be coming the speed limit / speed camera thing either. The numerous signs on the side of the road and the needle on you dash will tell you all you need to know.

he asked for a sat nav, not for a lecture :rolleyes:

lol

I have a sony one...... I have it on map mode most of the time... so i can see little side roads to duck down for short cuts when driving in london... It says Bear left bear right quite a lot but i have never seen one... do we get bears in this country?

:coffee:

he asked for a sat nav, not for a lecture :rolleyes:

I know! But I hate the new reliance on the damn things.

Anyway, if he wanted a satnav, he should have looked on the Argos website or something, you can only get a free lecture from me for Christmas on here.

cheers for all the help (and the lecture!) all of which were helpfull and i do agree with what you said,

nipped into halfords today as i had to get a few other bits and on the off chance i looked at the sat navs, saw a couple of ex demo GARMIN's going at some good prices, (only ex demo as they had two cabinets of them in the shop but are getting rid of one!)

managed to get this for £75 and a free £10 voucher! bargain i think, got everything i need and Europe which is good as the parents drive down to france a fair bit,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165685

well chuffed with it, easy to use and looks the dogs imo!

Cheers for the help guys,

Rich,