Forged Pistons

Icegeezer

Hi All

I'v have been searching for some forged pistons but im not having that much luck at the min, iv got a couple of leads but rather me search every where, I thought I'd pose the question to people who have done internal engine mods or who knows there stuff.......

Please no silly posts like have you tried halfords or motorsavers :rolleyes:

So far iv pulled a negative from quite a few of the UK's BIG tuning companies,

anyone dealt with German companies who know they sell them? :confused:

Remember, power is knoledge, so please share it lol

The Aplication Is a Lupo Gti 1.6 16v

Thanks all

B)

Someone posted these pictures in readers rides of some JE's they had had done for lupo.

Might be of some help as the part numbers are visible. :)

1706894248vr9.jpg

1706894247pn9.jpg

dsc05642kg0.jpg

Can anyonce confirm these specs against the gti on ELSA please

Great find dude

:shades:

they will need to be custom made, you aint gonna find pistons that are just gonna fit straight in .. i doubt it

£400-£600 for a set , you will need a dish to be cut in so you can rid that spacer plate, no point in getting high compression pistons and run a spacer plate

IMO i would rather get a set of rods, cause if a piston breaks the damage is minimal, if a rod breaks you get a hokey pokey in the side of the engine block and a soup like metal substance in the sump :S

you got the pistons already, i say break them first (or try break them first) you dunno how strong they are ..

imo ofcourse

they will need to be custom made, you aint gonna find pistons that are just gonna fit straight in .. i doubt it

£400-£600 for a set , you will need a dish to be cut in so you can rid that spacer plate, no point in getting high compression pistons and run a spacer plate

IMO i would rather get a set of rods, cause if a piston breaks the damage is minimal, if a rod breaks you get a hokey pokey in the side of the engine block and a soup like metal substance in the sump :S

you got the pistons already, i say break them first (or try break them first) you dunno how strong they are ..

imo ofcourse

Cheers Cliff.. :shades:

seems anywhere above 165-2#170 with forced inductions is causing the problem....

Maybe rods is the way forward, or maybe I shud just break it as I have that spare block.....

hmmmm

:coffee:

When I spoke to advanced autosport I was under the impression they're all available from suppliers in germany; however Ive heard a few stories about the length of time / bad customer service from advanced autosport so Im wary to place an order!

In the last few days, Ive found a guy who can get Pauter Rods, JE pistons, and custom crankshafts! JE pistons come in 4- 5 weeks with a price of £560 to the UK; rated to 650bhp! Pauter rods are around the £600 region, but take 6- 8 weeks, and custom crankshafts start at £1200 to £1500 depending on manufacturer.

Let me just check the guys details and get back to you :)

Edited by veedubdude

Hey

Not sure if this is completely applicable, but as you say - knowledge is power ;)

I've got JE forgies in my GT4, they came from Toyauto (now TR&D) in Nottingham. Fensport also deal in JE pistons & Ross so they may be able to get other specs of pistons from those suppliers that they distribute. Worth a phonecall IMO as they're priced around the £400 mark. With higher FI pressures, it's generally the pistons that go first due to DET, or the ringlands that'll burnout, rods only let go when the power/torque/revs get too high B) so it really depends on your application as to whether you'll need rods as well as pistons. Also, be prepared to increase the warmup/cool down time that forged pistons generally require - they expand much more than OE and generally will have the bores machined to a slightly larger tolerance to allow for this. While the engine is cold you may experience a little "piston slap", if you rev too much during this period you'll notice the oil level dropping until they expand.

Good luck with your search... :)

Steve

PS Be prepared for most insurance companies to dismiss you once you mention forged pistons. I'd recommend Sky Insurance, they do agreed value & like for like replacement parts schemes which are worth their weight in gold.

Edited by MrMischief

where do u live mate?? theres a place in watford that would get them, when i had my rover mini, i just took my engine there, told them what i wanted and voila, when i got it back twas board out to 1430, forged pistons, high lift cams.....the list goes on, and a bargain price to!! if your intrested, i could find out more info on them!

• 1 year later...

Woah digging one up from the past.

I have JE forged box type slipper pistons (short skirt pistons). And Carillio Rods with CARR bolts With Total Seal Piston rings. Sounds hurrendous untill the car is warm with that set up. But the total seal rings keep the oil in the engine well during the warm up period.

Because i have a slipper piston, i get alot more slap, This takes a good 10-15 mins to go at idle untill everything is nice and warm. Once warm, i get a tapping on gentile acceleration at 2000rpm, bu im told its nothing to worry about.

Correct on the bores being machined differently, Forged pistons use a wall clearance of up to 0.004"

I got mine in from Performance Unlimited in yorkshire. I dealt wth a bloke called Dave Powell, Top bloke and very helpful! Sadly with these engines everyting is custom made, Pistons take 4-6 weeks, Rods take 6-8 Weeks.

Based on prices to import, and the pound to dollar being so poor, they will now cost in the region of £2000, mine were considerably less than that luckily.

The pictures from this thread.... Those pistons were form a dodgy batch of pistons which are about as much use as a paper weight... there was a mess up on the machining process and the crown was machined too thin. I know that as i enquired about them when i had mine made, that was JE's respose.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Yeah the engine is still the std bore, I checked out each bore before i had the pistons made to make sure they werent worn. Dont know why i didnt go larger, but hey ho suppose i can when i rebuild it!!

I had a preblem with JE originally with the pistons, they were made with the wrong piston pin boss width, and then with the wrong piston pin thickenss.

In the GTi engine you have piston guided con rods... The gap is on the crank rather up at the piston.

Im not 100% but i think that was the case. Good find nether the less!, think i may look in to these more when i need an overbore!

But still, it could work if you had a set of forged rods made to match the pistons pin boss width.

And there about £100 less than JE ones.

John

My mistake then, sorry! I thought the two engines where pretty identical :(

Some of the differences are so petty, It almost seems pointless for VW have made a difference between them!