A new project...'The Smartie'

stealthie

Yup the 1.4 s was an ebay bargin at £1000.... full vw service history too! has there been a cheaper one yet or do I win a prize? :D

Indeed the Tdi has a Revo re map, it was the test bed for the 1.4Tdi map and therefore the first in the country to get the code ;)

Maybe we could turn your wheels the other way round Bro :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you doing regarding mounts? Are they the same for the engine but not gearbox? Tim

All mounts seem the same so far..... I will take a closer look when I get the engines out and if there are differences then I will get chopping bits about and welding!

I should be back up the workshop this weekend so more pictures should be on here soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on it today and Im on it all weekend too so there are and will be pictures from today, sat and sun.... just need to take and upload them :)

I am also choosing a colour scheme for it next week but just to tease you all I shall not be telling until the pictures are posted ;)

Edited by stealthie

Pictures from yesterday:

LupoProj-48.jpg

LupoProj-47.jpg

LupoProj-30.jpg

LupoProj-31.jpg

LupoProj-33.jpg

LupoProj-36.jpg

LupoProj-35.jpg

LupoProj-42.jpg

LupoProj-43.jpg

LupoProj-41.jpg

LupoProj-40.jpg

LupoProj-44.jpg

LupoProj-45.jpg

I swapped the drivers door and wing from the Tdi to the Petrol as they are in better condition (less car park dings) and also the electric mirrors from the Tdi are now fitted. All this will come off again, it's all just a trial fit thing ;) I had to 'adapt' the petrol door to accept the electric mirror as the doors are different, but as you can see it is all sweet now :D

More updates later / tomorrow as I am going up to play some more now!

Ok, Saturdays update people:

Engine loom out:

LupoProj-49.jpg

LupoProj-50.jpg

Heater box out:

LupoProj-51.jpg

LupoProj-52.jpg

Interior stripped out:

LupoProj-53.jpg

LupoProj-54.jpg

LupoProj-55.jpg

LupoProj-57.jpg

LupoProj-56.jpg

LupoProj-58.jpg

LupoProj-59.jpg

LupoProj-60.jpg

Rear bumper off:

LupoProj-61.jpg

Pop outs out:

LupoProj-62.jpg

LupoProj-63.jpg

Petrol flap off:

LupoProj-64.jpg

Headlining out:

LupoProj-65.jpg

Back seats out:

LupoProj-70.jpg

And a ratty faded Tdi badge :lol: :

LupoProj-68.jpg

That about covers my days work and I will update again when I get home tomorrow :D

I'm mega confused now lol.

So the 1.4 TDI is going in the Caddy, and the 1.4 16v (75) is going in the TDI lupo ? argh

Ha Ha! No mate.

Caddy is getting a different engine so wipe that from your mind for now ( I'll post a new thread for that one when I finish the Lupo )

Lupo 1.4 S is getting a 1.4Tdi engine fitted.

Lupo Tdi body/chassis is being scrapped/sold in pieces.

Tdi is the one with all the stickers.

The one without the stickers (apart from the door) is the one which will be the finished car.

Make sense? :wacko:

hiya mate, how hard was it to take the headliner out? is it stuck down. love the work also :)

Headlining is easy dude - unscrew all the sunvisor and handle fixings to release it from the sides and the front then ease it down and forwards a bit and the hooks at the back end of it should drop out of place. fix back the same way but in reverse ;)

Good work Stealthy!! ;)

Why thank you sir :lol:

Colour has been chosen today by the way :yes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Saturday I got a chance to work on the Loop and my friend Chris came along to get all the dents out and apply the paint. We got the engine bay painted although I'm not going to show the colour until the body is done :tongueout:

it started like this:

SL370402.jpg

SL370403.jpg

then we started cleaning, prepping and masking up:

SL370404.jpg

SL370405.jpg

SL370406.jpg

SL370407.jpg

SL370408.jpg

Then the paint went on....... which you will see hopefully very soon !

• 3 months later...

Ok, been a while since I wrote on here but I have not had any money and no time to touch the little beasty since my last post so no work = no pictures :(

Anyway, today I spent the day up the workshop stripping down the donor down as I decided that is free and I want to start selling off the bits I don't need which will clear up a lot of space for me to work on my one easier!

So... here's a few pics of todays strip down and I am going to put some stuff up in the for sale section. If anyone wants any bits that I have not put up in the for sale section then send me a pm as I do have almost a complete cars worth of bits to sell! :lol:

Lupo-01.jpg

Lupostuff-05.jpg

Lupostuff-04.jpg

Lupostuff-03.jpg

Lupostuff-02.jpg

Lupostuff-01.jpg

I am planning to get the painting finished off in March and then the rest of the build up of my Tdi conversion should start to move along a lot faster! So I will be adding to this thread a lot over the next few weeks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got the chance to go up to the workshop on Sunday and got a couple of bits done. First up I welded up the bonnet badge half moon:

The half moon:

LupoProj-98.jpg

The patch I made:

LupoProj-99.jpg

And so on:

LupoProj-100.jpg

LupoProj-101.jpg

LupoProj-102.jpg

LupoProj-103.jpg

LupoProj-104.jpg

So that is done for now and just needs a bit of tidying up with a flap disc and a skim of filler to smooth it out.

The next task was to sort out the rear speaker mounts as I want to fit a half decent stereo in this one but the rear 1/4 panels have no speaker mounts.....

The problem:

LupoProj-85.jpg

The answer:

LupoProj-84.jpg

LupoProj-87.jpg

LupoProj-88.jpg

LupoProj-89.jpg

LupoProj-90.jpg

At that point my camera ran out of batteries... Boo! :( But I took these before I did the speaker mounts:

THe roof had a few rust bubbles coming up along the edges so I took the areas back to bare metal to luckily find that it was all just surface and no major work is needed Yay! :D

LupoProj-95.jpg

LupoProj-94.jpg

LupoProj-96.jpg

LupoProj-97.jpg

Thats all for now folks. The painting should all be done for the end of March and I will post up more as it goes on, Im itching to get the inside painted now so I can put the Tdi loom in and then I can get the engine in!!!

Time for the donor chassis to go to the big scrap yard in the sky :(

Donor-04.jpg

Donor-05.jpg

Donor-06.jpg

Donor-07.jpg

Donor-09.jpg

Donor-10.jpg

Donor-11.jpg

Donor-12.jpg

Donor-13.jpg:blink:

And on a more happy note, I kept this bit as the one on my Lupo was damaged so at least one bit of the bodywork is going to good use :D

Donor-08.jpg

If anyone needs any of the body sections I have cut off or wants a particular bit of body they can still see on whats left of it, speak now or it will be too late!