Wrong Coolant Temperature Sensor?!

smallredlupo

Hi,

I went to the local vw and bought a coolant temp sensor and the seal.

Then I brought them to a local garage to have old one replaced.

But I was told by the garage that it's a wrong one?!?! The one on my lupo has a square green plastic head (don't know what that bit is called) while the one I bought from vw is just like the one showed here: How To: Coolant Temp Sensor Replacement, 1.4tdi where the green plastic head has one sqaure side and a oval side.

So the one I bought can't fit.

What's going on here?? I showed the part number part number 059 919 501A to the vw mechanic, the sensor also has the same part number on it.

Why was I told it's a wrong one?

BTW, my car is a T reg lupo, 1.4 16v

Many thanks,

lupogirl

Edited by smallredlupo

pre 2000 vw's did use a square connector on the coolant sensors, yours should be

059 919 501

assuming your engine code is AHW

Wow! BIG THANKS to lupogtiboy!!

I had the wrong sensor exchanged at the local vw and fitted the correct one.

Now the temp gauge on the dash is reading some temperature!!

Haven't seen the needle move in so long that I wonder whether it's reading normally... haha...

Today was quite warm, 19C, and my lupo was parked under the sun, although it did rain a bit. Just after driving for 3 mins, it's reading about 90C?! Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but was it normal?

And, another question is, does the coolant temp sensor also determine when the radiator fan is on?

If yes, does anyone know at what temp or when the fan would be switched on?

(because I haven't seen my fan moving either in so long... tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> )

BTW, could overheating the engine result in the engine using excessive engine oil?

Many thanks~

lupogirl xx

pre 2000 vw's did use a square connector on the coolant sensors, yours should be

059 919 501

assuming your engine code is AHW

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody help me on this?

After just a couple of minutes driving, temp gauge reads about 90C and stay there all the time.

Don't know if this is the normal temp...

And the radiator fan seems to be never on...

Is it supposed to be on when the engine is running or when the temp gauge/engine reaches certain temperature?

Many thanks,

lupogirl

Today was quite warm, 19C, and my lupo was parked under the sun, although it did rain a bit. Just after driving for 3 mins, it's reading about 90C?! Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but was it normal?

And, another question is, does the coolant temp sensor also determine when the radiator fan is on?

If yes, does anyone know at what temp or when the fan would be switched on?

(because I haven't seen my fan moving either in so long... )

BTW, could overheating the engine result in the engine using excessive engine oil?

Many thanks~

lupogirl xx

90 degrees is perfect and it'll usually never deviate from that.

I've found my cooling fan hardly ever comes on, and if it does, you can hardly hear it, the only times it really comes on is when you've stood still for a bit with the engine running after driving hard for a little while.

The fan is only really there to create the air flow that you'd usually get whilst driving.

All sounds perfectly normal biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by KrazyKev

Thanks KrazyKve!

Good to know 90C was fine.

But today I came home (after driving for 25min @ 65mph + 5min @ 30mph), parked the car on the driveway and deliberately left the engine running for a couple of minutes.

Still no signs of fan spinning. BTW, the temp gauge stayed about 90C throughout the journey.

Was this still normal...?

Cus I kinda hope this is the end to my lupo's hunger for engine oil since I've been suspecting that engine overheating was the reason.

lupogirl

90 degrees is perfect and it'll usually never deviate from that.

I've found my cooling fan hardly ever comes on, and if it does, you can hardly hear it, the only times it really comes on is when you've stood still for a bit with the engine running after driving hard for a little while.

The fan is only really there to create the air flow that you'd usually get whilst driving.

All sounds perfectly normal>

I've only noticed my fan come on about twice in a year.

Your car now sounds fine to me! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />