Upgrading to 256mm brakes

Tigz™

Im a tit. Pay no attention to what you read.

670P1010028-med.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Parts needed.

1. A set of Lupo GTi Caliper Carriers.

I have no idea how much these may cost as mine werekindly donated by LinconshireGTi when he upgraded to a wopping 280mm set up on his GTi.

These are by far the biggest out lay when doing this, so a big thanks to darren for helping me out again.

2.A set of mk2 Golf GTI 16v brake Calipers.

Lots of other options here, but the mk2 has shed loads of spare parts around so if you want to buy used you'll have no problems.

As Id saved on the carriers I desided to buy these new from Euro Car parts.

Only cost £62 with my "mates rate" discount.

deivered within a day, shame ones a Lucas and ones a Girling but who cares.

Once painted you couldnt tell the diffrence.

3.A set of mk2 Golf GTi 16v 256mm vented discs.

I changed my mind about buying after market discs as Id heard too many horror stories about discs warping and cracking, so I went with a pair of Brax vented discs.

At on £5 each if they crack after 6 month I wont give a crap, I know Im not the most techi guy out there, but I really cant see that Id notice a diffrence in disks worth spending the extra cash on black diamond.

At the end of the day, the Loop is still a 1 litre, and even with the sport engine, I think these will be more than up to the job.

4.Ate original pads were had for £11.50

I know wanted low dust pads, but after budgetting so well I didnt want to spoil things lol

5. The connections on the Golf calipers are diffrent to the Loops so a set of Golf 16v flexi hoses are needed also.

6. Lupo GTi Stub Axles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok after 5 hours the calipers ad carriers are painted.

Leave them to dry for the night then I'll mask them you and give them two more coats with hamerite Smooth Spray.

Tha carriers have been sprayed but the calipers needed a coupld of brush coats first.

670Image1-med.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gettin pretty excited about fitting them now!

More to come.....

Only more more axle needed!

Edited by Tigz

shame ones a Lucas and ones a Girling but who cares.

Once painted you couldnt tell the diffrence.

same thing - girling were the name when the golf mkii came out, later changed to lucas - how different are they?

this is cool! another tigz useful guide that should be out in the archive.

loving the look

this is cool! another tigz useful guide that should be out in the archive.

lol Have any of mine gone there?

No diffrrence in looks Tim, just the names diffrent.

Would have been nice to have stuck with the Lucas name through all carriers and calipers but never mind.

Edited by Tigz

are the brakes much more effective then?

Ive not fitted them myet Dan so I cant comment on the braking preformance.

do u think u could swap the standard set up on a MK2 1.3 Golf to the 16v ones

I dunno mate, Ive not had much experiance with Golf brakes but the calipers and discs on the 8v GTi are the same as whats on my Loop atm and changeing them to a 16v 256mm is a straight swap.

Edited by Tigz

ok cheers tigz, just for my mate with a golf cos i told him about your conversion on a 1.0 lupo & thought itd b an idea cos his brakes are a bit cack. chances are itll be a straight swap then if yours are just the 8v calipers. he also mentioned something about using the master cylinder from a passat cos its quite a bit bigger than the golfs (for obvious reasons)

do u think u could swap the standard set up on a MK2 1.3 Golf to the 16v ones for better performance? (and if you can is it a fairly straight swap?)

Any thing from a mk3 or corrado can be swapped onto a mk2. I have g60 corrado 280mm disks on my 16v golf. the 1.3 is probably solid disks i think 16v are same diameter but vented. you just use thinner pads. i know this is true for a 1.6 driver can't be definately sure on a 1.3.

do u think u could swap the standard set up on a MK2 1.3 Golf to the 16v ones for better performance? (and if you can is it a fairly straight swap?)

Any thing from a mk3 or corrado can be swapped onto a mk2. I have g60 corrado 280mm disks on my 16v golf. the 1.3 is probably solid disks i think 16v are same diameter but vented. you just use thinner pads. i know this is true for a 1.6 driver can't be definately sure on a 1.3.

to fit them to anything under a gti u will need the hubs as well

Glad that you got all the bits sorted Andi and that they are all compatible. Bargain brake conversion this is and will be a huge improvement over standard.

This looks like one of your mods that your actually going to do from start to finish wiithout moving onto the next mod *only joking mate* lol.

Any progress with them spacer plates we talked about to allow the rear disc conversion?

Not yet Darren, you've hit your nail on the head when you say I dont finish the jobs, I didnt want to have all the parts at once as it wouldnt get completed.

Got all the bits and tools in the car so gonna do the fronts today then get started sourceing the parts for the rears.

Im wondering weather Polo rear hubs are interchangable?

The calipers and carriers have come out fantastic, you wouldnt know there not from the same parts bin.

Gonna strip mine down at dinner time, ready for the new ones as soon as the boss goes home lol

Ok guy with 95% complete 1.8T

Sorry I forget your name, what hub did you have to fit to fit the 280mm brakes?

what model Loop comes with removable carriers?

What other Hub could fit?

Why am I such a fool?

Where did I put that noose?

Ok a little late but heres the pics of my feck wit hubs/brake assembly.

Cant belive I never noticed this before.

P1010042.sized.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

P1010043.sized.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

• 1 month later...
How about 305mm Brembo's?

Fitted onto Lupo GTi hubs.

Where did you get the hubs for?

How much did they set you back?

I think 256mm will be enough for the sort of power im looking at, although they would look pretty sweet!

What size were the Brembos Ross (almost) fitted?

Hi Spec kit, will allow 280mm disks under some 13s depending on wheel shape

well i am hoping that they are round or it might not move for it to brake! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

What size are the GTi as standard?

If smaller than 256mm, all I would need to convert them is the 16v Mk2 calipers and disks and pads?

S

A GTi has 256mm discs.

Parts needed.

1. A set of Lupo GTi Caliper Carriers.

2.A set of mk2 Golf GTI 16v brake Calipers.

3.A set of mk2 Golf GTi 16v 256mm vented discs.

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />+-->

QUOTE(one litre wonder wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)
well i am hoping that they are round or it might not move for it to brake! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

WTF are you on about?