Central locking help

Reedo

Right heres the situation. My central locking doesnt work and the buttons on my key dont either.

So....

My question if i change the central locking in both doors, will i need to change the barrels from my original ones? Or is there more stuff that has to be changed if i do that?

Thanks Reedo

Yeah it does have central locking. When I press the buttons on the key it doesn't open. When I turn the key in the passengers door it opens both doors. When I turn the key in drivers door it only opens drivers door...

The remote sounds like it needs a new battery possibly. The issue with the passenger door not opening is a microswitch issue. You can either fix the microswitch or buy some new lock mech's which are about £30 each if I remember rightly.

Right ok thank you. if i have to get new lock mechanisms will i have to change the key barrel from current to new mechs?

Nope, the barrel will stay the same. It's a very simple system and replacing them are very easy. It's also possible to already fix the mechs, but that's less easy. You just need to take some precautions when you do it, otherwise you can end up in door won't open territory. I've wrote a few explanations how to get your door open if it won't open from the handle though, so all is not lost I assure you.

oh right ok thank you. ill have a go at getting a battery for the key first...... but i noticed something while i was working on the car earlier.... when both doors are open and i lock the drivers door both lock... but when i try to open you need the passenger nipple thing move around but not go up?

oh right ok thank you. ill have a go at getting a battery for the key first...... but i noticed something while i was working on the car earlier.... when both doors are open and i lock the drivers door both lock... but when i try to open you need the passenger nipple thing move around but not go up?

Still sounds like standard microswitch issues. Very common on the older VW's. They changed the design on the MK5 Golf I believe (or possibly MK6). Luckily, they're not pump central locking so a brand new mech is about £30 like I say and will probably last the life time of the car. My own Lupo isn't perfect. The drivers side is fine but the passenger side anti-hijack function is ballsed. I think Mattarosa is suffering the same issue.

• 4 weeks later...

this has been fixed now thank you. it was due to the drivers nipple being stuck not allowing it to raise up. Also got the boot central locking to work aswell with it...... weird

Sounds like someone took the door card off and didn't put it back on properly.