bombardment of queries.

Ant0889

Hello all,

I haven't been here long but you seem like a knowledgeable bunch already!

so.. can finally drive rosa 1.4tdi (girlfriends already nicknamed him), after, for my peace of mind, having the Cam belt, water pump, squeally tensioner and aux belt changed, £372 all in, personally didn't think it was a bad price at all.

so on her maiden voyage, after figuring out the dipped/main beams, I twiddled knobs and gave it the beans... dear lord they are nippy! its like driving a go kart!

but like most 12 year old cars she has a few issues...

-central locking intermittently works (never worked off key fob), noticed the little flashy light on drivers door only works sometimes?

I'm thinking of just getting an aftermarket central locking kit and patching that in.. anyone done this before?

- the heater control knob that controls the direction i.e. screen, feet etc, only turns to feet and screen, is this a common problem?

- when the engines turned off, the vehicle physically shakes, not violently but a definitive shake, I put this down to being a 3 pot but its got me thinking, engine mounts?

- the air filter box on the car has a fist sized hole in it, are aftermarket filters i.e enclosed cone filters beneficial or can I source an original easily?

- brakes are shocking! pedal to the floor shocking, im going to bleed them see if that improves it but are there are known faults with the braking system?

sorry for the barrage of questions but im really hoping you guys can shed some light form me.

cheers

Anthony

Ah the old stiff knob ;) I had the same problem, truthfully I have no idea how to fix it other than its possibly stiff cable behind that may need lubrication, easy enough to get too mind.

There is a how to on central locking in the how to section.

Don't start on the whole air filters topic LOL, it'll cause an arguement on another thread. Not your fault, probably best going oem on that one.

Hope that helps, sorry I can't be of more help.

Thankyou for the replies.

I bought a cheap and cheerful remote central locking kit so will be attempting that when it arrives.

mattarosa - i shall rip the knobs out and report back if i find anything. also need to investigate why my knobs not glowing :P

Dblock - im tempted by an enclosed filter with a cold air feed through the front lower grill, but ... im not sure.

the shaking on turnoff is driving me craxy, im a little worried about it jumping the belt, can the anti-shudder valve be needing a simple clean, might be sticking?? or is there a known fault?

enlighten me on EGR deletes please

cheers

Anthony

Don't just rip your knob out ;) the fabric covered coin tray above just pulls out, the bulb is behind the middle one, fan speed, just pull that out then remove carefully, fit a new one, there is a how too in here.