Painting alloys

Karl_Mac_

Just found a set of Lupo Sport 14s at a bargain price, but they're a bit unloved. I'm planning to rattle can them myself but it'll be the first time I've done anything like this, so I was hoping people could give me some advice.

The plan is to sand them with some 1200 grit, spray on some primer then spray them white to match the Lupo.

Can anyone recommend a paint kit/primer suitable for this?

Karl I got mine from J T F in Rotherham when I painted my G60's. White primer is something like £0.89 for 500ml. It's actually really good as well and better than a more expensive alternative I picked up from that Bullseye motorstore place to do my front badge.

One can should be good enough for a good 3-4 coats on each wheel, which will give you a nice finish. Just a heads up, unless you have a proper sanding machine (which I don't), sanding the wheels is a tedious and a slightly agonising affair haha! :tongueout:

i am thinking of doing the same to the alloys on my car, putting a pack of card inbetween the alloys and tyres... is this just because the card gives better resistance to paint going onto the tyre? or is there another reason? its a good tip!

There was a video posted on FB, buy Mitch I think, where someone used fishing line to pull the masking tape between the tyre wall and the rim.

Can't find it now though.

It was electrical cable.

1. mask around wheel

2. hold a blade tight against rim go around to trim excess (Like trimming excess pastry of a pie tin: ask your mum or gran!)

3. tuck cable into bead to edge it off

Karl I got mine from J T F in Rotherham when I painted my G60's. White primer is something like £0.89 for 500ml. It's actually really good as well and better than a more expensive alternative I picked up from that Bullseye motorstore place to do my front badge.

One can should be good enough for a good 3-4 coats on each wheel, which will give you a nice finish. Just a heads up, unless you have a proper sanding machine (which I don't), sanding the wheels is a tedious and a slightly agonising affair haha! :tongueout:

Out of interest, what paper grades did you use?

Considering plastidipping them instead.

Out of interest, what paper grades did you use?

Considering plastidipping them instead.

600 - 1000 off the top of my head.

You've probably got some but i've got some left if you want to have a go with it? Can give it you at Lowdown :)