G40 into Loop

dazraz_uk

Just wondered how easy it would be to put the polo G40 lump into the loop, and what would be needed to carry out the conversion?

Or on the other hand would it be more hassle than its worth?

any suggestions would be great.

thanks

Darren

any conversion can be done mate - it's a matter of time, cost and who the feck you can get to do (a quality) job of it. recently in pvw there was a mkiv polo with a g40 lump in - that had alot done to the lump - but AFAIR it was a reasonably straight forward transplant. don't know the full ins and outs of fitting into the loop - looking at what 'mitch unit' has just done, anything is possible with the know how!!

Just wondered how easy it would be to put the polo G40 lump into the loop, and what would be needed to carry out the conversion?

Or on the other hand would it be more hassle than its worth?

any suggestions would be great.

thanks

Darren

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

with the cost - and it'd be £££££ to get it done right - i dont reckon it'd be worth it - plus if u drive a lupo - the only time u really wanna lift your bonnet is when youre bolting on goodies - not to see what's hissing an popping under the bonnet

no do it! but not to a GTI!

its not a tricky engine as I have seen it in loads of cars now. the usual issues about wiring, fly-by-wire etc might come up but would make a unique little lupo. and the sound of a G Lader is hard to beat I reckon

well if it goes into the mk iv polo then it should be pretty straight forward as you say! i didnt want to go down the G60 route as surely it would take as much work as fitting the 1.8T wouldnt it due to the size?

And with the ability to get some crazy power figures from the 1.3 lump i.e. put a R1 G60 charger on there, uprated intercooler, chip and pully should see some impressive figures (think some people have had 200bhp out of the motor ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> )

which basically means its a lot easier than trying to squeeze extra out of the GTi motor!

with the cost - and it'd be £££££ to get it done right - i dont reckon it'd be worth it - plus if u drive a lupo - the only time u really wanna lift your bonnet is when youre bolting on goodies - not to see what's hissing an popping under the bonnet

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why? if i do the conversion id quite happily lift the bonnet and show everyone whats helping me to tear up the 1/4 miles!! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Supercharge yes, G40 no...

If ya blow the charger, they're a bitch to get hold of nowdays.

(Incidentally, anyone with a G40 or a G60 - I recommend Pitstop Developments/G-Werks. They know their stuff & they're a great bunch too)

oh right i see, learn something new everyday!!

ill have to look into that then as although its more expensive its a lot more common which is always a bonus when looking for an engine.

Not sure when ill be doing this as far too busy to start taking my car apart! so merely an idea at the moment!

Agreed.

Looked into this once.

The old unreliable engine, along with the old expencive unreliable chargers put me off.

you have a GTi yes?

Wouldn't you get more power by tuneing what you have?

why? if i do the conversion id quite happily lift the bonnet and show everyone whats helping me to tear up the 1/4 miles!!  shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wouldnt u wanna keep it a mystery??

Supercharge yes, G40 no...

If ya blow the charger, they're a bitch to get hold of nowdays.

(Incidentally, anyone with a G40 or a G60 - I recommend Pitstop Developments/G-Werks. They know their stuff & they're a great bunch too)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Jabbasport kept them in stock and do the upgrades on a part ex type basis? Theres plenty of G60 corrados out there as well so surely finding one thats just been written off shouldnt be too hard!

Agreed.

Looked into this once.

The old unreliable engine, along with the old expencive unreliable chargers put me off.

you have a GTi yes?

Wouldn't you get more power by tuneing what you have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh its a GTi but due to the lack of tuning parts etc i thought this might be a more cost effective route at gaining more power!

the thing is a 1.8T is gonna be as much work as a G40 Lump imo

But you can pick one up with silly power already.

I turned down one with 225hp a 6 speed TT box, G60 box and two Turbos for £1000 (regrettly now of course)

Yes you'd need custom driveshafts, but so you would with a G40/G60

You'd need a subframe for either option.

If your wanting to transplant to get more power, Id say 1.8T is the way to go.

I woudn't go for a G40 or G60, the concept is outdated and G-laders will become more and more hard to find as cars get older. And repairing a unit over and over again won't do it much good.

Maybe go for a custom setup with a new Eaton or Rotrex compressor om your own engine shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I woudn't go for a G40 or G60, the concept is outdated and G-laders will become more and more hard to find as cars get older. And repairing a unit over and over again won't do it much good.

Maybe go for a custom setup with a new Eaton or Rotrex compressor om your own engine shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm likin the sound of that!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Yes you'd need custom driveshafts, but so you would with a G40/G60

You'd need a subframe for either option.

If your wanting to transplant to get more power, Id say 1.8T is the way to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you dont' actually need a subframe for the 1.8t.. and it's not half as expensive if you go else where to have the major fitting done.

my engine cost me £900 and actually havin the engine fitted has only cost me about £3000 that includes drivshafts the lot... the only thing after that is electrics. but you can buy loom adapters now and everythin so you can run the ecu from the donor car thus saving you an absolute f*king fortune in full on stand alone management.. but it depends on how much power you want.

i reckon if you go to individuals rather than a big name vw tuner you could dump a 1.8t in you loop for little more than 4 grand. and when you think that jbs want nearly 7 for tha same thing then it's a bargian. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

the 1.8t is the way to go.

Edited by ...superlupo...

forgive me for saying but is the g60 engine not really quite heavy - obviously not 1.9tdi heavy but still weighty? im sure i heard of a lupo that had the conversion somewhere and it was a pig to drive due to being nose heavy? maybe im speaking rubbish biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> .

i agree that 1.8t is the way to go for a transplant - easy extra power for cheap after the install especially if you keep the donor ecu via revo, jabba, amd, apr etc etc.