Cup holder/Coin tray instillation

Tibbenham3

Dead easy two torx screws, think they are T10.

Yup. Just two screws and push it back slightly and it'll simply drop. The new one, when fitting, just pull it back slightly when fitting and there are some soft clips which just hold it enough so you can screw it in. I can't think of any reason that it came with no cup holders or trays, they were standard on even pov specs no? However, on pre-2001 models which came with the switches in that sections instead of the cup holder, coin tray, it's a surprisingly useful place for dropping cables etc from your radio. You'd be surprised how much you can get in there. I have about 5 metres of GPS wire coiled up in there, several RCA's, a USB input, another USB input, a Nokia CA-75U to provide Video-Line-In from compatible devices, and probably some other things to.

I reckon I'd have no problem fitting a comfort indicator in there as well which I've recently been tempted by.

So perhaps he was using it to store cables and ****?

I can't picture what you mean?

So the rear demister switch is down by the heater controls?

Is the warning light switch above the radio or is it down by the heater controls?

What is in the lower DIN slot? Or do you have a double DIN radio?

Sounds like a DIN blank has been put. Most come with a cubbyhole in the empty DIN slot. Like this in my 2002 Arosa when I bought it.
SILVERSTEREO1.jpg

Then I put a DIN cupholder in...

cup_holder_500.jpg

My GTI now has both, please excuse the missing tray front; it's all tiddly boo now...

IMG_9809.jpg