Check light come on X reg 1.0l lupo

Davedex

When I went to take my 1.0l 2001 lupo for a drive the engine management "Check light" came on and stayed on, is there a simple solution to solve this problem?

Any help appreciated.

Had a feeling that you would say that! If this is a regular thing is there a device I can get to plug into the connector? If so what is it called and what sort of cost am I looking at?

Thanks for that, they look pretty reasonable an I think if I got one I would be able to get it working and get the results I need. The majority appear to come from china and I guess it is luck of the draw if you get charged by customs when it comes into this country.. From memory, when I have bought items from china in the past, the seller writes on the customs declaration form that it is a gift and this reduces the cost considerably.

If anyone has bought one of these, what was the approximate customs charge?

Thanks for that, they look pretty reasonable an I think if I got one I would be able to get it working and get the results I need. The majority appear to come from china and I guess it is luck of the draw if you get charged by customs when it comes into this country.. From memory, when I have bought items from china in the past, the seller writes on the customs declaration form that it is a gift and this reduces the cost considerably. If anyone has bought one of these, what was the approximate customs charge?

get one from the UK.

I have had a look and hope that this item on eBay 151166531226 will work on my lupo and it cones from the uk which is a result!

If anyone has the time I would get eternally grateful if someone would check if this type of thing would work on my car.

I managed to get one of those and connectd it to my sons htc phone after downloading an app from the android store called OBD car doctor. It came up with two error codes as follows:

P0404 exhaust gas recirculation control circuit range/ performance

Pending P0304 cylinder 4 misfire detected

I can understand the misfire as I had to drive through some flooding on the way to work this morning and the poor lupo coughed and spluttered a bit!

However I don't know what the other bit means or whether it is anything serious, I pressed the clear button ( so the check light has now gone) but I would like to make sure that the other code is resolved if necessary

If You kind folk could give me some advice I would be truly grateful!

Egr valve ( on the exhaust manifold ). playing up , probably needs cleaning or replacing , worth checking connections too , some people blank them off

Egr valve ( on the exhaust manifold ). playing up , probably needs cleaning or replacing , worth checking connections too , some people blank them off

Which usually result in a error code lol.

Clear the misfire.

As bigplum said, clean and check connections. There's a guide in the How To section for EGR cleaning :D

Will check that out at the weekend, to see if I can make head or tail of the pictures and solve the problem.

Incidentally the engine check light came back on again this morning when I was on the way to work, obviously because I have not solved the problem!!

Will check that out at the weekend, to see if I can make head or tail of the pictures and solve the problem. Incidentally the engine check light came back on again this morning when I was on the way to work, obviously because I have not solved the problem!!

If you cleared it and it came back on, then whatever it is, needs sorting. If it's the EGR, I reckon a thorough clean should fix that.

My check engine light came on, on my 1.0L 2002 lupo. I scanned it and it told me it was the lambda sensor (apparently a common reason for the engine light to come on these cars) turns out there was a hose which had come out. The light has not come on since.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Well, we stripped the egr and metal breather pipe and they were fairly gummed up! We cleaned out the tube so that it was a lot clearer, an then took off the egr valve and cleaned both sides of it. We put it back on, cleared the check light, ran the scan again and the code came back up showing the same error code

I have just found out that The egr valve fitted to my car was changed by a genuine vw dealer in 2009 although title does not look like the one in the photo, and does not have any vw part numbers on it. The cost to do this work at the dealers was £510!!!!

Don't really fancy spending that again but am being swayed to thinking that the valve maybe faulty

Well, we stripped the egr and metal breather pipe and they were fairly gummed up! We cleaned out the tube so that it was a lot clearer, an then took off the egr valve and cleaned both sides of it. We put it back on, cleared the check light, ran the scan again and the code came back up showing the same error codeI have just found out that The egr valve fitted to my car was changed by a genuine vw dealer in 2009 although title does not look like the one in the photo, and does not have any vw part numbers on it. The cost to do this work at the dealers was £510!!!!Don't really fancy spending that again but am being swayed to thinking that the valve maybe faulty

you need to drive it for a while before you can really judge. Take it for a thrash. Edited by Skezza

Sunny IOW? Never seen that from Lee on Solent!

Nah, genuine ones should last a good amount of time, touch wood never had any problems on our lupo with the EGR or anything like that. I'd buy genuine if you can

Lol! Looking at the receipt from when it was last done in 2009 by a main vw dealer I assume that it was a genuine part, but as they only have a two yr guarantee don't think I have a leg to stand on!

Btw the sunshine sometimes falls in liquid form!!

• 1 month later...

Well, a long time in the making! I finally got it checked by another machine which confirmed it was likely to be an EGR problem. I went to vw to see if they had any goodwill and would help towards the cost of replacement but after dodging those flying pigs found out that they could not give a toss! I bought a Egr off eBay including silver pipe and gave just finished fitting it and after clearing the error code, appears to have stayed off after doing about 6 miles and leaving it running fir about 5 mins!

Fingers crossed that I have Sussed it!