HID headlights and smoked brake lights

frankie_505

You need a Bi-Xenon kit, so you maintain Hi/Lo Beam.

I've always been very tempted by these:

They claim to be genuine plug & play.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bi-Xenon-HID-Conversion-kit-H4-Hi-Lo-6000K-8000K-/200721068287?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebbe870ff

You need a Bi-Xenon kit, so you maintain Hi/Lo Beam.

I've always been very tempted by these:

They claim to be genuine plug & play.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bi-Xenon-HID-Conversion-kit-H4-Hi-Lo-6000K-8000K-/200721068287?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebbe870ff

I have these :) very easy to fit

be careful what you buy, retrofitting hids require certain conditions to pass an mot, unless you have a tame mot examiner. you may get some activity from your local plod also as generally the beam patterns are crap. if you want xenons buy a second hand gti set up, then you know everything is ok. expect to pay though for the real deal as its expensive. you may also require headlamp washers too, check it out with someone who has a gti. hope I haven't put you off, geoff

be careful what you buy, retrofitting hids require certain conditions to pass an mot, unless you have a tame mot examiner. you may get some activity from your local plod also as generally the beam patterns are crap. if you want xenons buy a second hand gti set up, then you know everything is ok. expect to pay though for the real deal as its expensive. you may also require headlamp washers too, check it out with someone who has a gti. hope I haven't put you off, geoff

I think the best thing to do if you do decide to go for aftermarket is to simply take it to your nearest garage and have them set properly. Most local garages will only charge a few pounds. Also, I do genuinely believe that these things are all based on how much attention you want to draw to yourself. Buy 35w HID's with 6000k bulbs and I think you'll be fine. Buy 55w HID's (which are far too bright) and stick 12000k bulbs in (which are actually purple, rather than blue) and you're immediately asking to be pulled over. It's no different to cutting the backbox off your exhaust!

Did you get any problems in your mot with them? And thanks for the help and heads up guys

A close mate of mine just sent his Golf in for an MOT with HID's and had no problem. Like Geoff said, depends on the MOT tester. Don't forget, you could easily disconnect them and fit a standard set of bulbs which would take all of what, 5 minutes?

No rick, they're H7 single beam, you need H4 Bi-Xenon (basically dual beam, Hi/Lo), like the one I posted.

• Like 1

there was talk (in mot testing circles) about making retrofits illegal as they are often fitted without headlamp washers (which they apparently need) which is why I suggested looking at the gti set up to see what they are fitted with. that way you'll know that its completely legal and that when you hit your next mot someone isn't going to turn round and tell you that your car's failed because of dodgy lights. don't know how far the mot thing went but there must be an mot tester out there somewhere in the ranks to keep us right. geoff

a

No rick, they're H7 single beam, you need H4 Bi-Xenon (basically dual beam, Hi/Lo), like the one I posted.

I bought those HID's you recommended. They don't appear to fit. They won't fit in the socket as the metal head on the bulb is too big. The base appears alot bigger aswell. Do you have any ideas?

I've sanded down the entrance to my headlight so this fits in. Only thing now appears to be making the cover fit over the back of the headlight. I think I might need to drill some holes.

Edited by Rickpercy87

You have to drill holes in the black covers for sure, to put the wires through.

Regarding the bulbs and the metal head, how much is it out? I'm pretty sure you can file it down.

I tried the original kit which is not bi-xenon. This works fine and fits too. The arosa MK2 has separate main beam so I didn't need it. I should have researched better lol. Nevermind.

This kit is far too big:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200721068287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is the one that works, however the bulb doesn't fit as nicely as I would like it to. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310373913615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I still don't know a lot about bulbs but I think H7 is the size needed for the arosa MK2.

Cheers for the advice anyways, mate. I'll let you know if I manage to get it sorted properly with the bulb sitting snug.

WRONGGGG!!!

H7 for arosa mk2.

Also my car past its MOT even with HID's. Came up as an advisory but not a fail point.

so wait, the Arosa MK2 has a single beam headlight or a twin cluster?

Hi there Guys,

This is my first real post. I sell Xenons and do Led interiors. So i'm familiar with this topic.

The main reason why a car will fail an MOT with xenons is due to the dazzling other road users. The standard lupo uses reflector headlights which creates the dazzle when using HID'S. I've come to three possible solutions:

1- Fit projector headlights just like the Lupo GTI has. (personally I would do this)

2-Buy a bi-xenon retrofit kit which includes projectors. This involves opening your headlights and fitting them yourself. (FX-R projectors are very good but expensive)

3-Buy a Xenon/HID conversion kit that is specifically designed to work in reflector headlights. (I don't think the make these for the H4's yet)

If you read the MOT guide for testing cars, It doesn't state that Xenon's are not allowed. Also it states " (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they MUST work; however, it is accepted that it MAY NOT be POSSIBLE to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given. Headlamp washers MAY work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch"

Here is the link: http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

So basically, there is no cheap way to do this in the case of the lupo because of the reflector headlights. I'm one of those people who gets well annoyed when I get people dazzling me with their untaimed HID kits. I'll use me full beams back and trust me I've got xenons in my full beams so I'll win!! :D

Currently driving a passat, but still looking for a lupo.

Tahir

Edited by Tahir1