Interior door panel clips

GoingDigital

I've got a Lupo with an interior door panel that is not properly attached. After taking off the panel, it is clear that someone has been here before - several white and black clips, some covered in bodge-tastic black mastic, some snapped off completely.

I think the best thing would be to clean up both sides and start again with a set of new clips.

The black clips are ribbed with a flat head. The white clips have a four sprung protrusions in the shaft, with a cup shaped washer and a flat head.

photo.jpg

Here's the help I need:

1. Can anyone give me VW part numbers for the clips (both panel and door-frame sides), or direct me to where I can buy new ones?
  2. It looks like the clips have been moved around by the previous owner. Which position for which clip type?

I had the same exact same problem on both my door panels. Some snapped, some were glued, some were even missing. The positioning of the clips doesn't matter, I had black and white ones and I put them in random places and they fit perfectly fine, no more door panel problems. As for the part numbers I have no idea, they're cheap enough to pick up on Ebay, sorry I can't be of more help.

This area is a minefield for online shopping, because there are loads of parts that look the same but don't fit. Halfords online has 'Trim panel clips', 'trim panel buttons' and 'large trim panel buttons' - absolutely no more information than that. Hopeless.

I've done some further investigation on the car. There is no obvious reason why two different clip types are used. Maybe some subtlety to prevent panels vibrating. All clips have a 15mm diameter 1mm thick head, are 18mm from head to tip and attach to an 8mm hole in the door metalwork. The black ribbed clips fit into a nylon receptacle that can (with difficulty) be removed from the door metalwork. The white clips attach to the hole directly.

It doesn't look the same, but the nearest equivalent I've found is fir tree clips with a 14mm head, for 8mm holes. Such as this one. 18mm heads are more common, but they might need to be trimmed down before they will fit. Unless anyone has any better suggestions, I'll order those and report back when they arrive.

Check my guide here, got the part numbers of the clip & gromet you'll need

http://danstyan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/vw-lupo-insulation-film.pdf

Perfection! Great guide, danoid.

Black ribbed clips: 6X0 867 838 @ £0.66 each (28/3/12)

Nylon clip receptacles: 3B0 867 334 @ £0.64 each

Is that the kind of thing I can get ordered from a VW dealership, or is there a better way?

I got them from VW, they had to get them in, but just rang my local VW and asked for parts department.

The part numbers I put on my how-to were just for the top part of the door card

Not too sure on what 6x0 868 243A is, i know there was some which got discontinued

Thanks all for the great advice.

Latest VW prices:

Black ribbed clips: 6X0867838 £0.74 ea

Grommets for ribbed clips: 3B0867334 £0.73 ea

White sprung clips: 6X0868243A: £0.62 ea

(plus £1.81 shipping).

Unfortunately it took the dealership 2 days to come back with a quote, and they would still have to order them in. I got impatient.

I ordered these from ebay. £3.20 shipped for 10 clips, enough to complete the door panel. They arrived 2 days later. Slightly inferior build quality to the white clips that came off, but perfectly up to the job. They got fitted today, and my door panel is as good as new.

Result!