Help with double din using too much power

Hey!

I've just got myself a wee arosa and I'm putting a double din radio/DVD player into the car.

I had just put it in and was using it with the car off, I then switched the car on, it ran ok for a while and then slowly died, I used a booster pack to start car again and concluded the radio was using too much power because the original radio I've had no problems with.

Does anybody know a way I can use my new radio without my car dying when it's running?

Thanks!

I can say with a fair assumption that it's not your head unit causing the problem. All head units draw 12v and I think have a maximum of 10 amps, which they never get anywhere near using. Your head unit certainly won't be causing the car to cut out (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone). Sounds like it could be your alternator, or even battery, but I've never had it happen on me so I'm only going on guess work.

• Like 1

In my last car I watched one episode of family guy with the engine off. Tried to start it but had no luck :doh: Moral of the story is either turn your engine on or don't have the radio playing when the engine is off.

As Skezza said the headunit WILL NOT cause your car to cut out especially while running. I'd be looking towards the alternator.

When the car is off, all power comes from the battery. If you run this dry when the car is off there won't be enough power to turn the starter over thus your car won't start.

If you car starts and then after a while dies when you're using power eg. head unit, it may be that the alternator isn't charging the battery properly. When the engine is running all power comes from the alternator not the battery, so technically it should run forever aslong as there's fuel to turn to engine and therefor the alternator.

However when the alternator doesn't work properly the power will run from the battery while the car is running but obviously the battery has limited charge and when this goes the car will cut out and when you try and turn the car over nothing will happen as there's no power left to turn the starter over.

Get a voltmeter on the alternator and hope it's not that as it's about £100+ to replace which is a pain!

Long story short... It's probably not your head unit

Edited by matt123roll