180A Alternator fitted

Right guys, just thought i'd let you know i have fitted a 180A Valeo alternator from a passat. I would say it was relatively easy as i have no power steering A/C etc. so have the small bracket, was a straight fit apart from the tensioner bracket at the bottom which had to be ground to re-tension the new alternator. I ground out the bolt hole so it was forked which meant i could adjust the new alternator with an additional bolt.

Sorry there are no pictures as it completely skipped my mind to do a guide, although if requested i could probably get some of the finished product, then all the waffle i've just wrote would probably make a bit more sense :D

110 more amps to play with. Juicy.

• Like 1

It dosent feel noticeably slower although i've got to give it a couple more revs to pull away, if i dont then the RPM dips dangerously close to stalling.

Weight wise it's definitely beefier than its predecessor and looking at them side by side made the old 70A look pretty pathetic :P

I've yet to properly juice it to see how it copes as my subs haven't arrived yet but with what i've got in at the moment (2 10" FLI Trap subs at 1600W peak if i can remember correctly) turned up full, with all electrical equipment on max, i had about 14V average coming into the cabin, which isn't too bad from a used alternator.

The new one in:

8872524969_caf316e513_o.jpg

Old one out:

8872520439_ab9d0f33a5_o.jpg8872519849_63a34bcb78_o.jpg

This is the bracket i ground into a fork:8614049556_ae5bc63e99_k.jpg

Where the long shiny bolt at the top is, the bracket is slotted so i can adjust the tension on the belt once it is all bolted in

Edited by Trx 33

Here is a video to what it sounds like, im pretty sure that that is the bearings whining.. probably not a good thing :P The alternator has a one way bearing so it keeps on spinning when the belt stops, thought this was a pretty cool extra :Dhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/92373297@N06/8612895809/

I'm probably going all overkill with the power system and all that, but its better to have too much than not enough right?

All power wires will be 0AWG and i've done 'The big three' combined with an XS Power D1200 battery and the above alternator already.

Up front i've got the Alpine CDE-135BT Head and ill be getting round to installing a pair of Focal PS-165 Components with stinger 14AWG speaker wire sometime soon. I'm also planning on running speaker wire to the rear behind the door cards if/when i get a set of speakers for them.

Since the boot is pretty useless anyway im going to box the whole thing with fiberglass and mdf up to the parcel shelf and have a false one instead. The amp ive bought is the Sundown SAZ-1500d which will be powering 2 Sundown SA-12 subs.

Ill also be getting round to re-trimming the door cards in faux leather again as the first time i did it, the glue decided to peel after a week.

Bet your disappointed i didn't say i was going to wall it with 2 18's :P

I've been looking around and so far i've not seen a system anything like what im planning in a loop or arosa, so hopefully it will be a unique/different sort of creation (or abomination depending how it goes)

Not currently - ran out of money :P I do have an old juice 2 channel amp but im not sure if i should risk using such a poor amp with speakers that cost over 6x the price haha

Edited by Trx 33