Beeping Dashboard and oil light flashing

Me Again!

I drove about an hour on the motorway last night and then hit the home roads (30 all the way) was turning a corner and my dashboard started flashing with the oil light and beeped three or four times then stopped ? Hasn't done it since.

Is it as simple as the oil needs topping up? I've got some to check it once I get home from work but any suggestions on what the problem might be if the oil level is OK ?

Volkswagen Lupo 1.4 E 3DR Automatic

Edited by Elzibaby

If it's a low oil pressure warning I'd be very wary about driving until you get it plugged into Vag Com. It's a stupid warning as it basically lets you know you've already done damage (most of the time) by running without oil. As silver said, get a check on your oil when the cars cold. If the levels are fine get it into vag com and hope that it's a dodgey sensor

Check your oil dipstick.

As matt said, it's a really crap warning, because in telling you that your oil is low when it does, the likelihood is that you've already caused excessive wear to your engine. It really should inform you earlier, but it's why I regularly check my oil.

Hope it's not too serious.

It isn't telling you the level is low - it's telling you the pressure is low.

Essentially the force of you turning a corner is moving the oil level out of the reach of the pickup pipe due to it being so low, its just pumping air around the engine instead.

Check the level on the dipstick and top up accordingly ASAP - before you drive it again

It isn't telling you the level is low - it's telling you the pressure is low.

Essentially the force of you turning a corner is moving the oil level out of the reach of the pickup pipe due to it being so low, its just pumping air around the engine instead.

Check the level on the dipstick and top up accordingly ASAP - before you drive it again

Hey defcon, what kind of damage would blowing air around likely cause in the immediate short term, simply excessive wear or could something as serious as a full blown seized engine be on the cards?

Just an academic question, I keep my oil topped up all the time, but I've never let it drop too low :P

Edited by Skezza